Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cheroot technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerocontent

Does anyone have a detailed how to on this technique?
Seems like a good way to use scraps.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"The cigars are wrapped in thanal-phet tree leaves and contain crushed tobacco and bits of dried wood seasoned with several flavours such as honey or tamarind. Cigar making Workshop on Inle Lake in Myanmar(Equipment for making traditional Burmese cigars) The cigar has only one end for lighting and the other end has a filter made from a small roll of dry corn husks."

The hand-held rod with a strip of colorless plastic sheet attached appears to be functioning much like a Lieberman device (or a thumb-powered cigarette roller), essentially rolling the shredded tobacco into a cylinder, then rolling the tree leaf around it. The clever trick here is that a stick made of rolled corn husk is rolled into one end of the cigar, which functions like a handle. The burning end of the "cigar" is then prepped with some sort of seasoning materials, and finally the corn husk roll is clipped short, to serve as the filter.

There are certainly much easier ways to utilize cigar scraps.

Bob

zerocontent

I'm more interested in the rolling technique since it seems like what I'm looking for. Just need some way to make small cigars quickly.

ChinaVoodoo

The quickest way to (without throwing it away) deal with scrap is to roll huge cigars. Prep your binder(s), grab some scrap and start rolling it in. As you roll, keep grabbing more scrap. If it starts feeling uneven, take a bit out or go back and add a little more. After that, you might find it's not as tight as you wanted, so simply roll that in another binder, but press harder.

ChinaVoodoo

If there's something I've learned in my travels, it's that if the work is being done in a developing country by a woman, it's probably hard work.

ras_oscar

I puzzled for several months the best way to roll cheroots using wrapper scrap. I watched that exact video several times, trying to puzzle out the rolling stick. I ended up using a quarter leaf of wrapper and rolling using the same technique as full size cigars, except no binder and no mold. It's not as hard as I was making it out to be.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. Rolling with small scrap is just messy, regardless of how you do it. Using the rolling mat helps with a larger format cigar.

CigarilloWrapper.jpg

This is the general pattern of wrapper I have used (on the extremely rare occasions that I roll a very small cigar). If the bottom edge is square, not only will it feed nicely into a blunt roller, but serves as an apron to initially hold all the loose scrap at the start of the hand-rolling process.

About that rolling stick. It paradoxically rolls in the opposite direction as the bunch, but that's just like the roller of a Lieberman device. If you do this without the rolling stick, and just use your fingers, you're basically allowing the mat to pull itself through your grip. That's what adds the compression. The dowel simply distributes that traction more evenly. [Without understanding what the dowel is doing, just try using it while not rotating it, and it will tell you which way it wants to roll.]

Bob

ras_oscar

the other thing I have done when I want to use scrap in full size cigars is use a single whole filler leaf as a prebinder. I cut the prebinder to the size of the appropriate mold, then lay scrap filler on top of it and roll it up. Roll a second time with a "real" binder and pop it into a mold. Wrapper as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.