Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Starting mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I expect this to be a "one shot" thread.

I visited my tobacco friend yesterday to see his seedlings. Thank god they are about the same size as mine which I thought were too small.
Anyway the "Plug and Germination" mix he uses is:

Seed and Plug Germination Professional Growing Mix
a product of Canada marketed by

Premier Horticulture Inc.
127 South 5th Street
Quakertown, PA 18951

or

Premere Horticulture Ltee
Quebec, Canada

John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I used Premier for three and this year I switched to Tobbco (or something like that). Premier is really great stuff, but this new stuff is a little lighter in weight and it comes pre-moistened.

I hope I didn't make a mistake, because I never had a problem with Premier...what people will do to save a buck. Now you have me second guessing myself. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm using a starter mix called Baccto. Its pre-moistened and has a .085% nitrogen 0.15% phosphate 0.10% K2O. It's made from 84% reed sedge, perlite and sand. I added vermiculite to mix for my cell trays. Its real loose and great for transfering seedlings into cells with out damaging roots. It will pack a bit over time after a few waterings. Brand new seeds seem to grow long straight roots and some have a bunch of those tiny hair shoots depending on variety. It has a 0.14% coated slow release N - 0.03% coated slow release phosphate and a 0.2% coated slow release soluble potash.

I.m still trying to find an over the counter fertilizer for large areas that has no muriate of potash. All my local suppliers don't carry. For when I go to set my plants.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tim,
Black Kow composted cow manure (0.5: 0.5: 0.5) is available in Texas: http://www.blackkow.com/_html/bkcomposotedmanure.htm

I've been using that exclusively for fertilizer, at a rate of 1 bag (50#) per 30 sq. ft, tilled into the top 12" or so of soil before transplanting. If you are planting vast acreage, then it's not practical.

The Black Kow will not burn roots or kill earthworms.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Bob, so far all I've added to my baccy growing area has been dolomitic lime. Just that coupled with a good rainy spring has made my soil seem more loamy I guess you would call it. A new dual direction tiller hasn't hurt none either. It goes 7" on first pass and closer to about nine leaving a thin strip between passes and then tilling the small strip, with a forward tine direction that gives a fine cultivate and levels on second pass. I sent them an email for local retailers to check it out, I'm being cautious this yr. on my fertilizer. thanks.

Tim

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm using a starter mix called Baccto.
Yep, that's the same stuff I'm using.

I.m still trying to find an over the counter fertilizer for large areas that has no muriate of potash. All my local suppliers don't carry. For when I go to set my plants.
Rainbow is the only fertilizer I can find on the net, but they don't list any distributors.

Wasn't Rainbow part of some kind of scam a few years ago? Have they redeemed themselves or does the scam continue? Do you know what amounts of N-P-K you need? A good substitute for muriate of potash is plain old wood ash from the fireplace or stove. If you're not putting in too big of a patch, you can burn some corncobs for a very good source of K and lime.

BarG

Founding Member
I'll start saving more than wood ash, The more I'm learning about different garden and household compost fodder.LOL I like the baccto because the main root seems to really take off. Heres a pi although you cant see a good close up. But the sprouts separate so easy without damage to root if you start in this type medium. Can't say for plant growth yet, especialy the bursa and ottoman I got from Bigbonner, But alot of the other varietys are doing the same. Thats just the first I tried with.,100_1898.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I use potting soil as a base medium,,,then sprinkle the top layer with a seed starting mix,,,,,

then sprinkle that with a layer of vermiculite, and mist until i see germination,

with 100% sucess, { if the seed germinates,,}

Status
Not open for further replies.