2018... My Most Challenging and Biggest Grow Ever--Levi Gross

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Three options:
  1. Call the excess seedlings terrorists. [Works for heads of state.]
  2. Call the excess seedlings Cimbri and Teutones, then claim you are saving Rome. [Works for dictators.]
  3. Play somber music during their exterment, and say nice things about them. [Nobody ever buys it.]
Bob

greenmonster714

Baby bacco murderer..lmao. Now that's an original I've never heard. I'm coming in just a little late but wanted to wish you best of luck with the cover-up story behind all this homicide. Or is it bacocide? Not really sure.

I found it much easier to start seed in a tin bread pan. One of those disposable ones. A few holes in the bottom and put on a catch tray. When they are ready for larger cells digging them out with a popsicle stick was pretty easy. Ya just gotta let the medium dry out a little. Where'd I get an idea like that? Why Bob of course. I've found learning new things is much easier when you copy successful folks and their ways if doing things. What ya got going on now is great. You'll find easier ways to do things as you go.

Try not to worry to much about those lost. You'll be swimming in seedlings in a few weeks scratching your head and wondering if it's time to replant..lol. This is going to be a great growlog.

Levi Gross

Everyone who has replied to this thread has really lifted my spirits this morning. The humor had me rolling. I’ve got a lot going on in my life, and my tobacco is very therapeutic for me and keeping my mind off of the things that trouble me. I actually I am considering re-planting some more already I am also taking a much needed trip to the rule King after work jiffy mix is on the menu along with better seed trays.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Levi if you make a grow check of seed, you can let the seed be small plant in the water and take them one by one with a "Tooth stick". It's the best way for me. Much easier than do the separation later!-But the most important is to find your own way. Same thing with haircut the plant and later topping it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I go a little barbaric on my seedling transplanting.. I start them in a 6'' pot.. kinda thin proablly..200 seeds.. then I let then get a little big. and pluck them to the seedling trays,

so far this year ive filled up 3.....112 cell trays,,, I got more transplanting to do, and the next tray im gonne skip a hole... and see how they do,, instead of cutting them to let more light get to the leaves,

Levi Gross

Cave man style. That is very interesting! Maybe I need to get a little tougher.!!!
I go a little barbaric on my seedling transplanting.. I start them in a 6'' pot.. kinda thin proablly..200 seeds.. then I let then get a little big. and pluck them to the seedling trays,

so far this year ive filled up 3.....112 cell trays,,, I got more transplanting to do, and the next tray im gonne skip a hole... and see how they do,, instead of cutting them to let more light get to the leaves,

Levi Gross

IMG_0477.jpgIMG_0478.jpgI am ready to wage war on the terrorist! Apparently that is what my cats believe as well. They just became victims of cat attack. Not a huge deal but kinda made me upset a little. They were only able to dig up two cells thankfully. Thursday I will be starting on re-working this grow.

greenmonster714

I've got three if those critters in my house. During the seedlings stage I put it all in my bedroom and shut the door. My biggest concern this year is the young black lab pup outside. Already fifty pounds at 6months old. He is so mischievous and into the chew everything stage. I find holes now and then so I'm pretty sure he a digger. He's going to watch me dig small holes to set plants and think that he can do a better job. I just sense that is how things will pan out. Good thing he's cute as hell. It's the only thing that saves him.

Levi Gross

I’m blessed with 4 of the little plant eating monsters in my house!!! Nothing is sacred to them. I could only imagine having a plant digging puppy on the scene as well.Cute or not I would be at my wits end because even with that I’ve got moles and rabbits and other pest to contend with as well
I've got three if those critters in my house. During the seedlings stage I put it all in my bedroom and shut the door. My biggest concern this year is the young black lab pup outside. Already fifty pounds at 6months old. He is so mischievous and into the chew everything stage. I find holes now and then so I'm pretty sure he a digger. He's going to watch me dig small holes to set plants and think that he can do a better job. I just sense that is how things will pan out. Good thing he's cute as hell. It's the only thing that saves him.

L610

Cave Canem

Of course he will dig it up. An outside dog, especially one that is alone, has nothing to do but dig and bark to keep from going crazy from boredom/loneliness. Putting him in that position and then getting angry with him is hardly fair.

I have six dogs that are mostly inside plus a dozen chickens. The veggie patch and tobacco is completely fenced off from them. Well the chickens will be able to access some of the tobacco since it won't all fit in the cross fenced area, but hopefully it won't tempt them too much.

The indoor grow flats are all a shelves covered with mylar/foil on all sides, it works to magnify the light, keeps the space warmer, and also keeps inquiring noses and paws away from the plants. Can't say the mylar looks pretty though, cause it doesn't, but it is very effective.

greenmonster714

Of course he will dig it up. An outside dog, especially one that is alone, has nothing to do but dig and bark to keep from going crazy from boredom/loneliness. Putting him in that position and then getting angry with him is hardly fair.

I think I can honestly say he is far from being bored or lonesome. He does come in the house. He gets a little house training at a time. Our other older dog (who comes in at night) has already taught him to drop loads out in the woods instead of in the yard. All of our pets have free roam of 40+ acres. He has a full time companion cat who sleeps and plays with him. Plus, he has the company of 3 other dogs and a few horses. I guess it would be easy to assume his behaviors are from boredom or loneliness but they are just a pup being a pup.

A few weeks ago we come home to a flood. He had broken off the outside water tap and pulled it hard enough to break it below ground. We had been away all day for a family members bypass surgery so no telling how long or how many gallons of water we're lost..lol. Needless to say we were a bit angry at him but he received no punishment. He's just a youngster and we pretty much expect to get surprises now and then. However, at this point we are more than ready for Ace to mature enough to stop the captain destucto gig..lol. Like I said before it's a good thing he is adorable. Ya just can't stay mad at him.

Levi Gross

IMG_0482 (2).jpgSo what seemed to be a huge blunder on my part at first has now turned into a huge blessing and possible over abundance of tobacco terrorist living on the plantation. Joke- I have over 72 "cells" of active terrorist here... lol. I water boarded several of the little buggers last night and moved them to isolation units. The rest are being held in close confinement to be interrogated at a later date if need be. I am also planning to send some off to another holding facility- A friends house who is interested in growing for cigarettes. I have a couple hundred TA101 Golden Seal Special Burley plants. I don't know what I was thinking this year but in years past I would just sow my seed and then thin them when they came up. I shifted my thinking with some well given advice and instead of outrite tobaccocide I have moved to counter tobacco terrorism. Plant preservation. I never had them come up this thick before. Anyway I am over my panic and now see a bright future for some of these guys and their re-integration into tobacco society. My next worry though is I have a few very short season variants already up 35-45 day stuff and wonder if most of their life is going to be spent under a light and if so what will be their quality. I am hoping for an early spring and hoping to get them outside. I have read that some of these guys are very frost tolerant.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would strongly suggest delaying your outdoor transplanting until your "last frost date" plus or minus a week or two. Frost is never kind to the apical meristem (growth tip) of plants. Also, I've never met a "very short season" tobacco that was actually very short season. (I seem to recall that my Tabasceño Prieto was listed by GRIN as 35 days to maturity, but didn't even begin to blossom until day 55.)

Tobacco occasionally expends itself early, but most of the time it will happily grow outdoors, even if you put them out later in the season. I've documented tobacco grown in a tiny pot for 2 years (overwintering indoors), then exploding into a full size plant when finally placed in the ground.

Bob

greenmonster714

I'd heed what Bob is saying about early planting. It may say frost resistance but youngsters can't handle it. I think when they state frost resistant they mean a mature plant that is ripening late in the season. Are you a covert cia operative? Waterboarding, isolation units....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.