deluxestogie's Corn Stalk Sitter Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Corn Stalk Sitter Pipe

Garden20180308_3440_pipe_cornStalk_entire_600.jpg

How rough can times be, if I'm trying to smoke a corn stalk? This pipe began when I was cutting down the corn plants in 2017. I noticed how seemingly solid the lower stalks were on those hefty, giant corn varieties. So I saved sections of stalk from 3 plants, and allowed them to dry.

There are two structural problems with the stalks. First, as the stalks dried, they became less round in cross-section, and more oval. The second issue is that, unlike bamboo, which has a solid partition that fully blocks one node from the next, the node partitions in a cornstalk are only partial, and are insubstantial.

After removing the soft pulp, I was left with a lopsided tube, open at both ends. The bottom opening was fairly round, so I inserted a section of bamboo (untreated tomato stake) into it, and then filled the interior of the bamboo with a whittled section of a maple twig from my yard. This was not air-tight. I applied a thick spackling of Shoe Goo adhesive to the exterior of the bottom, and smoothed it with a Popsicle stick.

Garden20180308_3437_pipe_cornStalk_bottom_300.jpg

Looking into the tobacco hole, there are gaps and crevices surrounding the bamboo and wood plugs. My thought is to make a paste of molasses and tobacco ash, and pack it down in there.

Garden20180308_3439_pipe_cornStalk_top_300.jpg

The stem is another section of bamboo, with a Tygon tubing bit. The joint is sealed with more Shoe Goo. I've used Shoe Goo on 3 other pipes that I've smoked enough to feel confident that, so long as the glue is not in a burn area, it holds up well to moisture and the exterior heat of a hot pipe bowl.

Garden20180308_3442_pipe_cornStalk_joint_500.jpg

The real question is whether this is a smokable pipe, or just a clever, decorative, pipe-like sculpture. I'm not certain that it won't burst into flame, like a Tiki torch, at the first touch of a lighter.

I'll let the Shoe Goo cure for a few days, pack in the molasses and ash to line the bottom of the bowl, probably coat the interior walls of the stalk with molasses, then see how she sails.

Garden20180305_3441_pipe_cornStalk_side_600.jpg

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've just read that a 50/50 mixture of plaster of Paris and sand can withstand 1000s of degrees of heat (as in a knife making forge), without cracking. I think I'll create a lining for the corn stalk pipe using such a mixture. I really do believe that it would otherwise simply ignite along with the tobacco. It may function much like Meerschaum, only heavier.

Next week, I'll pick up the ingredients and give it a try. If it works, then it might be possible to make interesting tobacco pipes out of all sorts of odd things (cucumber, broccoli, a chili pepper).

I wonder what would happen with baking powder added to a plaster mix.

Bob

greenmonster714

Interesting pipe ya got there Bob. I gotta agree with about the whole thing burning. It'll be fun to see what you end up with using the mixture you mentioned.

ChinaVoodoo

You could maybe find some sort of pre fabricated ceramic piece that would actually slide inside. Presumably something electrical.
29169.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious...where did the Popsicle stick come from?
You wouldn't believe it if I said it was left over from my 2015 crop. Actually, our recent ice storm was so bad that the icesicles hanging from the roof had their own sticks.

How about a tobacco stalk pipe?

PS. Please don't make a chili pepper pipe, Bob.
Tobacco stalks always seem so solid at the end of each season. I considered making a walking stick out of one. But by the time they dry, there's nearly nothing there. So, you think I should just stick with a broccoli pipe?

I gotta agree with about the whole thing burning.
I have two other stalk butts that I saved and dried. Maybe I'll put a match to one, and see what happens...outdoors.

You could maybe find some sort of pre fabricated ceramic piece that would actually slide inside. Presumably something electrical.
View attachment 23004
I searched for a food-grade socket. No luck. Seriously, the challenge with this stalk pipe is that it's an oval cylinder.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'd try to find the smallest grain silica sand (like the stiff in an hourglass) and make a slurry with the plaster of Paris. Pour it into the oven-dry bowl and roll it around, then dump the excess. I think this would give some degree of adhesion...kind of a primer. Then repeat the same slurry (slip) or Popsicle stick (trowel) a thicker coating into the bowl.

Just a suggestion.

davek14

I think that’s really cool. I have always said that pipe smokers should take a page from potsmoker’s book and try some novel pipes. Some may be fine materials to smoke from. After all, who thought a corn cob would smoke well? I made this pipe some months ago from a Maple stick.

PKhGnfQ.jpg

Held together with pine pitch glue made in the best Paleo fashion. You mix pine pitch with powdered charcoal and goober onto the end of some sticks. To use, you simply light the stick, melting the glue, blow it out and apply. It dries rock hard, but I’ve found that if this pipe gets too hot it can soften a little. Still works.

The pipe is ugly, but it smokes surprisingly well. Maple is a good material for pipes. I use it to try out small amounts of stuff since it is small. I figure it won’t last too long due to thin walls. It’s a plaything.

As to bowl coatings, I’ve mixed powdered high clay soil which had been partially fired my accident in a campfire with honey to coat a bowl instead of ash. Ash works pretty well though so it’s not worth all that.

I played with antler some years back to make rustic handles for knives and made quite a few antler bowled pipes from scrap for friends who still smoked da reefer. Of course antler would burn and have a taste, but they say that a honey/ash coat eliminates that. Don’t know myself.

rf9bNuM.jpg

VQWJdAQ.jpg

I’m also interested as to what might coat a bowl and be fireproof and neutral and stick better than cake. It would be useful to fix pipes with burnout.

3AWwT0e.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I can see how a waterglass fill might be stable on an old briar pipe, but I would worry that the cornstalk itself would flex, and crack it. I'm speaking from ignorance.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Has anyone thought about tying off the end of a corn shuck forcing the bottom half of the cob to possibly grow bigger . It may not produce any kernels but the cob should look the same .
Similar to putting a watermelon into a square box producing a square melon .

Status
Not open for further replies.