Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT perique

Status
Not open for further replies.

waikikigun

I am digging this perique. I took a blend that's usually 1 seco and 2 ligero and went 2 seco, 1 ligero, and then centered in a fulsome tube of perique, and it is awesome. Pungent and spicy. Yum.

waikikigun

Anyone got a clue what seed this St James perique comes from? Browsing the internet I find a reference to Acadian perique using some kind of burly; other pages seem to treat perique not only as a leaf treated with this barrel fermening process, but also an actual variety of leaf grown only on this small patch in Louisiana.

But I just smoked a near-puro of PA Broadleaf from Larry and it tasted/smelled STRONGLY of the generously-laced-with-perique sticks I've been making. Made me wonder whether the St James perique could be made with the same or similar leaf.

I like it a lot, whatever it is.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
We debated that extensively about 8 years ago, and again about 4 years ago. There is a single variety in GRIN that is identified as "Perique". A number of us have grown it. To my eyes, the fully grown plant looks to all the world like Hickory Prior (a flue-cure variety). Some of the old literature seems to indicate that the Louisiana Perique is a descendant of a red Burley (not a white-stem).

FmGrowit made some Perique from a burley variety, and it was pretty damn close in taste. But others of us have made Perique of dozens of different varieties, and many of them come close, as documented in a blind taste test undertaken by Jitterbugdude. The pH, flavor and aroma seem to be determined mostly by the process, whereas the nicotine strength of it is dependent on the tobacco variety used.

Bob

waikikigun

We debated that extensively about 8 years ago, and again about 4 years ago. There is a single variety in GRIN that is identified as "Perique". A number of us have grown it. To my eyes, the fully grown plant looks to all the world like Hickory Prior (a flue-cure variety). Some of the old literature seems to indicate that the Louisiana Perique is a descendant of a red Burley (not a white-stem).

FmGrowit made some Perique from a burley variety, and it was pretty damn close in taste. But others of us have made Perique of dozens of different varieties, and many of them come close, as documented in a blind taste test undertaken by Jitterbugdude. The pH, flavor and aroma seem to be determined mostly by the process, whereas the nicotine strength of it is dependent on the tobacco variety used.

Bob
Thanks a lot.

greenmonster714

When I smell the fresh perique, it seems mildly fire cured to me. Does that seem accurate?

I can't really nail down a flavor or odor. It's kinda like the Limburger cheese of tobacco. Smells like sheeet but tastes pretty damn good. After I dried out the St James baccy from wlt. I found that it has the same odor/aroma as the homemade Perique BigBonner made a while back. Don't know what type of leaf he used but I'd guess a dark air or aged Burley. But he has the process down I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.