Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DJ '18

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistillingJim

I started my seeds on Tuesday. No signs of life just yet and no photos as we all know what potting mix looks like but I thought I'd share my plans and my reasons.

Pipe
Awa - This is bright leaf varietal from Japan. I'm not aware of anyone else on the forum having grown it (let me know if you have) but as I'm quite well stocked on
flue cured generally I thought it would make a nice experiment. Worst case scenario, I'll give it to cigarette smoking friends.

Bafraa - Oriental, popular for the pipe, worth a try

Basma - Oriental, popular for the pipe, worth a try

Yenidje - Oriental - I grew this last year and loved it. I've already gone through about half of what I grew so I want to replenish my stock

Cigar
Criollo 98 - Staple cigar varietal

Corojo 99 - Staple cigar varietal

Conneticut Shade - Last year all my plants grew well except for a small section nearest to the fence. I put this down to the spot being too shady and figured this varietal might thrive where last years crop (besuki) failed.

Pensylvania Red - I was gifted these seeds along with some Semois. I was having a hard time deciding which one to grow but as I'm quite well stocked on commericlly bought Semois pipe tobacco, I decided to hold off on the Semois for next year.

Nostrano Del Brenta - I love the idea of helping to preserve these unique regional plants. Nostrano is origianlly from Italy and is the last remaining varietal from the country that apparently once had three unique cigar tobacco crops. The other two are believed to be lost but we live in hope.

Little Dutch - I dont actually have room for this, but I figured I might find a pot to put some in

Thanks to the members who have passed on seed. Also to Northwood Seeds who I have once again found to provide a great service.

mwaller

Good luck with the grow! I'll be very curious to hear about your experience with Awa. I've been eyeing a number of the Japanese varietals, but I couldn't find any feedback from those who have grown them. Keep us posted!

DistillingJim

Good luck with the grow! I'll be very curious to hear about your experience with Awa. I've been eyeing a number of the Japanese varietals, but I couldn't find any feedback from those who have grown them. Keep us posted!

Yes, I've been quite surprised by the lack of interest in Japanese varietals. There are also a couple of Japanese cigar tobaccos that northwood stocks which I'd like to try in future grows.

CobGuy

... and so it begins! :)

I'll be putting my seeds in on Monday and look forward to watching everyone's grow this year ... good luck!

Charly

Yes, I've been quite surprised by the lack of interest in Japanese varietals. There are also a couple of Japanese cigar tobaccos that northwood stocks which I'd like to try in future grows.

This is not a lack of interest ! The real problem is that there are too many interesting strains to try !
I will read your grow log with interest to see what the "Awa" will give :)

ChinaVoodoo

I asked a friend who spoke Japanese to watch that old kizami factory video and to give me an idea of what it said about the varieties of tobacco they used to make kizami. Have you seen it? I'll see if I can find the post. Anyways, I have been thinking about trying Awa as well because if I remember correctly, it is one of the ingredients in kizami.

On another topic, according to the video and, also according to some other sources, like GRIN-CA, the Japanese tobaccos often have 'ha' at the end. I think ha means tobacco. So it's often called Awaha. Likewise Suifu is often called Suifuha.

I'm curious how it will be. None of the tobaccos in the video look like they are flue cured. I wondered if it was a bright tobacco which is sun cured.

Edit.

Here is the thread on Kizami which I referred to.
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/6469-Kizami-tobacco?highlight=Kizami

DistillingJim

Here is the thread on Kizami which I referred to.
I remember the thread, I think it may have started my interest in Japanese varietals.

I'm curious how it will be. None of the tobaccos in the video look like they are flue cured. I wondered if it was a bright tobacco which is sun cured.

Thats interesting - my intention has been to flue cure it as it is listed as a bright leaf (although i would always air cure a few for comparison). I wonder if Skychaser has any curing info on it?

DistillingJim

Returning from a family visit in London yesterday, I was pleased to find that the Criollo 98 has won the race to show the first sprouted leaves.

DistillingJim

I'm pretty terrible at maintaining my grow blog, but everything went in the ground this weekend.

Originally I had planned to grow some at home and some at an allotment. However, for various reasons I've decided against keeping the allotment and had to try and condense my grow. I'm possibly planted a little tighter than I should have but time will tell. I've put the Yenidje in Little Dutch in pots. Another pot has been dedicated to a Connecticut Shade plant. The area I'm growing the other CS plants in went poorly last year for reasons unclear but I'm hoping it was related to the varietal. The pot is fairly large and I figure it should yeild something if my hopes are misplaced and its just a bad spot for tobacco.

Charly

Don't worry, you are not alone, I have to update my blog too !

Good to see them in the ground, isn't it ?
I wish you will have some nice plants to play with ;)

DistillingJim

A little while ago, I wrote to a tobacco and salt museum in Japan, asking if they knew much about the usual curing process for Awa tobacco. I recieved the following reply.

It would be better for you to ask the question to JT corporation,
because JT has a department researching how to grow tobacco plant.
However, JT staff may wonder why you can get Awa tobacco seeds,
because, in Japan, tobacco seeds are not being circulated in the general
market.
JT provides the seeds only for tobacco farmers,
and they harvest the leaves without going to seed.

Incidentally, I think there is no particular way to cure the leaves for
Awa tobacco,
besides, even if you grow Awa tobacco seeds in UK,
the character of Awa tobacco will not appear.
Because the character of tobacco deeply depends on soil and climate,
and it is in mountain areas of Shikoku Island that Awa tobacco originated.

I've since discovered that the museum is actually owned by Japan Tobacco which helps explain the answer. Still, I'd hoped a museum would be more willing to answer such basic questions.

So far the Awa isn't thriving as well as I'd hoped. One was completely destroyed by slugs while another took severe damage. A third hasnt done a lot and has stayed tiny while my fourth has also stayed quite small although better than its midget neighbour. Its been an unusually dry summer here so I wonder if thats been a factor and I've started giving them a bit of water in the evenings. Still not sure how I'll end up curing.

ChinaVoodoo

A little while ago, I wrote to a tobacco and salt museum in Japan, asking if they knew much about the usual curing process for Awa tobacco. I recieved the following reply.

It would be better for you to ask the question to JT corporation,
because JT has a department researching how to grow tobacco plant.
However, JT staff may wonder why you can get Awa tobacco seeds,
because, in Japan, tobacco seeds are not being circulated in the general
market.
JT provides the seeds only for tobacco farmers,
and they harvest the leaves without going to seed.

Incidentally, I think there is no particular way to cure the leaves for
Awa tobacco,
besides, even if you grow Awa tobacco seeds in UK,
the character of Awa tobacco will not appear.
Because the character of tobacco deeply depends on soil and climate,
and it is in mountain areas of Shikoku Island that Awa tobacco originated.

I've since discovered that the museum is actually owned by Japan Tobacco which helps explain the answer. Still, I'd hoped a museum would be more willing to answer such basic questions.

So far the Awa isn't thriving as well as I'd hoped. One was completely destroyed by slugs while another took severe damage. A third hasnt done a lot and has stayed tiny while my fourth has also stayed quite small although better than its midget neighbour. Its been an unusually dry summer here so I wonder if thats been a factor and I've started giving them a bit of water in the evenings. Still not sure how I'll end up curing.

As an ex-acupuncturist, I will take their assertion of futility with a hyakume of salt.

As for curing, I would try it every which way.

DistillingJim

Indeed. I guess I'd just hoped that a museum would be more forthcoming with sharing knowledge (is this not their theoretical purpose?)

I had intended to flue-cure 3 plants and air cure 1 but given its poor growth thus far, I'll probably just end up air curing what I get. Not really worth setting up the kiln for 3-4 leaves at a time unless I feel a great surge or inspiration.

On the bright side, the criollo, corojo, nostrano, baffra and basma are all performing rather well. The connecticut shade and PA red less so, but I'm hoping they might catch up.

The potted plants which were as much an experiment as anything have not performed exceptionally well. I might try this again another year but they really do need bigger pots than what I gave them.

Status
Not open for further replies.