Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Carolina tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

I was reading some info on tobacco at pipeandcigars site and came across mention of Carolina tobacco. It was slipped in there between Maryland and burelys.

Carolina- Similar in character to Virginia, but not as rich in flavor, Carolina can be important as a way to "dilute" a blend without changing its character... pipeandcigars

I've never seen seed for anything marked Carolina. Not have I ever come across Carolina tobacco. Anybody got a simple answer?

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Old Bright Belt was in south-central to south-eastern Virginia. The New Bright Belt ("new" meaning the last third of the 19th century) is north-central to north-eastern North Carolina. It's pretty much the same tobacco varieties, and all of it is usually marketed as "Virginia" tobacco. Production in NC today is much higher than in VA.

tobaccoProduction2015-17.JPG

Bob

greenmonster714

Thanks for the info Bob. NC must be the main producer of tobacco. I'd always thought it was Kentucky or Virginia. NC is the tar heel state but that has nothing to do with tobacco as one may think.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The "tar heel" moniker comes from the history of North Carolina being a major source of naval stores (e.g. pine tar) during the age of sailing ships. Workers would burn huge piles of pine within closed, clay ovens that captured the tars and fed them down a trough for collection. Very messy work. Just look at their heels.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.