Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Paraord's grow blog 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paraord

Fort Drum area is really nice! Its been a spell since Ive been up to Pulaski, buddy of mine lives that area. Beautiful.
I didnt get a chance to get the tobacco in the ground but its out in the sun again today. We had to take down a 275 year old (best estimated based on size) pignut hickory tree. 3 foot diameter base, ended up being half rotted in the trunk so it got a little cattywampus on the felling. Those big hollow areas will do that.
Anyways I have lots of little gnats stuck to leaves, all dead. Whats up with that? They just get stuck to the leaves and die?

Im going to till tonight, and tomorrow, and get those plants in the ground this week!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The rumor is that nicotine is an insecticide. The poor dummies land on the leaves. The leaf hairs (trichomes) excrete nicotine. The gnats, at least, are doomed. They are a nuisance, but will dry up, and can be easily brushed off.

Bob

Paraord

Well its official. I have 72 tobacco plants in the ground! I am a little worried about some wind (20mph) on Thursday but I am probably over thinking it. This spot is full all day sun so we will be watching to make sure its got good moisture. Gave it a good soaking right after getting them in.

ZYQFkWCl.jpg

Paraord

It was a fun family event. Wife and almost 2 year old daughter were cutting the pots out of the flat and off the plants, 5 year old son was bringing them over to me and I was planting them. Then everyone watered. It really was a fun time and made the work go by much faster.

So should I be doing any miracle grow or 10-10-10 or just keep watering them and watch? This is considerably further than I managed last year. 2017 I only made it to he seedlings the size of a pencil eraser.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Child labor is sometimes good.

The tobacco bed benefits from a single fertilizer application (recommended rate for tomatoes) either prior to planting, or soon after planting. Just make sure it does not source its potassium from "muriate of potash" or potassium chloride. You want low chlorine fertilizer, so it won't reduce leaf combustion.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
It would be good to know what was in the spot where you are planting tobacco . Garden , hay , what type of grass or if it was a clover ???
Do you need lime ??

10-10-10 is more for corn and we can not or we are not allowed to use 10-10-10 on our tobacco . 5-10-15 is ok .
Or use potash and nitrate . Just be careful with Nitrate it can burn the plant if used to heavily . I use nitrate at 450 to 600 pounds per acre and according to the soil fertility .

Paraord

Child labor is always good on the farm haha!

As for previously grown there, thats an easy answer. Nothing was planted here, nothing but lawn. Just said Triple 10 because I have plenty of it around, we grow corn and pumpkins. Once I harvest this tobacco Ill till in a large quantity of horse manure there and pick next years spot.

Paraord

Thanks Bob, now a follow up. I have chickens and plenty of coop cleanings. Any downside to using the woodchips and droppings for cover and doubling for a little added nitrogen? I know chicken manure can be used right directly and doesnt need to be composted, and I need to clean it out this weekend anyhow.

Also should I be clipping off any browned up leaves like a few here?

tqTbo9Sl.jpg

zvgABaQl.jpg

9rcHTOdl.jpg

Pictures were taken the other day but everything so far is still doing ok! I have to imagine the majority of their energy for the 1st week in new ground will be on root propagation, but Ive seen new leaves on just about every plant.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wood chips are only a problem if you have slugs. They love to spend the heat of the day on the underside of wood chips. So I'd be inclined to go with just a reasonable sprinkling of chicken poop and old coop bedding.

The battered lower leaves will amputate themselves.

Bob

Paraord

Im reminded of the words of one of my favorite Monty Python scenes by my tobacco plants "Im not dead yet!"

Everything is alive and doing alright. A good mess of the 72 have made new leaves so thats good. I am going to clean the chicken coop tomorrow and give each one a little chicken-poo-pick-me-up. Ill get some pictures tomorrow when I get out there.

I cant wait to see some vertical growth!

greenmonster714

Isn't chicken crap pretty hot? I've always thought it would burn young plants if applied directly. I'm just throwing out a question here. I'd love to have a portable chicken coop to move around the garden plot all winter. Have you put fresh sheet on them before?

Paraord

Isn't chicken crap pretty hot? I've always thought it would burn young plants if applied directly. I'm just throwing out a question here. I'd love to have a portable chicken coop to move around the garden plot all winter. Have you put fresh sheet on them before?

Never grown them before! Ive always heard chicken manure was good for gardens and letting chickens pick around the garden. Probably due to the low amount...maybe I will run some miracle grow or

7IfyR4Kl.jpg

M4qvzlyl.jpg

You can see the new growth on them. This is farther than Ive ever gotten with Tobacco, I hope I can get it all the way to harvestable, just the 50 days avg growing time and being over 30% into that has me a little worried.

Paraord

Well I got one of those hook up to the hose kinda jobs for miracle grow vegetable. 1lb for 400 sq ft. Kinda waiting for the green light fella's. Im in uncharted territory and I have a lot of work invested between the planting and growing, then the kiln. Anyways I dont want to bugger this all up.

So are these plants on track and I need to go out with a glass of whiskey and a pipe to relax, or am I in a spot where attention is needed?

Levi Gross

This is only a matter of my own personal opinion, but if those plants have a few sets of true leaf and are not horribly distressed I would go to town with the miracle grow. Just don’t hose the plants for some reason tobacco bounces back from just about anything except nitrogen burn and round up

Paraord

This is only a matter of my own personal opinion, but if those plants have a few sets of true leaf and are not horribly distressed I would go to town with the miracle grow. Just don’t hose the plants for some reason tobacco bounces back from just about anything except nitrogen burn and round up

I gave them a once over, not too terribly much. Probably half the rate or so on 5/25, this is where they are now. I am pretty happy with the progression! These pictures were tonight. I might give them another half dose in another week or so. They really seemed to react well to it.

6Iv1ztOh.jpg

OSu4h47h.jpg

xFz31hqh.jpg

EfGG2Hfh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.