Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyLeez

Hi,
I live on the East Coast of the North Island in New Zealand.

I am lucky as our climate is fairly even. By this I mean our Winters do not produce heavy frost or snow and our Summers only heat up to around 32C 90F during our hot months of January and February. Unlike the top of NZ and the West Coast we are not subject to the strong winds off the Tasman Sea but the more mild air flow from the South Pacific Ocean. The average Wind Speed would be around 50km/h 32mph on a very windy day.

I have spent the last few months reading through this forum firstly as a quest and of late as a member. The information this forum carries is invaluable and has helped me enormously since I planted seeds back in late September 2017. As fellow kiwis have already stated, cigarettes/tobacco is heavily taxed in our fair country hence my decision to attempt to grow my own but on a very small scale compared to many of you :)

So as a newbie to this very ‘time consuming’ new hobby of mine I have made many errors but tis all a learning curve and no doubt I will do better come next Spring :)

I will type up a 2017-2018 Blog given time but for now I just wish to say thank you to all who contribute to this forum. Especially the year Blogs members keep. These I have poured through and gained the most knowledge from. I am only left with one unanswered question but will post under the appropriate topic. I am sure the answer will be on the board somewhere so a little direction is all I will need :confused:

Cheers
Jenny

Orson Carte

You do indeed live in a benign part of the country - apart from summer drought and the occasional Cyclone Bola. (Just had to point that out, as a resident of the wild west coast).
However, they built the Rothman's factory there (in Napier) and things such as fruit and wine grapes have always flourished so, I for one, would be expecting to hear of at least some success with your tobacco.
Welcome to the forum.
Although there's a whole horde of Kiwis now 'growing their own' those actively participating in this Forum are very few and far between.

Charly

Welcome and good luck :)
Yes, this place is a gold mine !
Full of very knowledgeable and friendly people !

JennyLeez

Many thanks for the welcomes :)

Hi Orson and yes you are correct, growing has not been the issue, it is what follows that has caused my ups and down :)

Cyclone Bola huh…….. gee that was 30 years ago. I am between Napier and Gisborne. We did not endure the rainfall that areas such as Gisborne, Tologa, Ruatoria and Te Puia did. The latter two areas suffered rainfall totals over 4 days of between 500mm – 600mm (19 and a half inches – 23 and a half inches) causing mega damage.

Our rainfall total over that same period was 180mm ( 7inches) and a nothing to write home about. What did cripple our town however was the deluge pouring down from the large high Catchment area into the drainage basement. This flooded the land, road, rail, river and wiped out our bridge which in return wiped out the power and water supply to the south side for many days. This bridge Orson is on SH2 and the main route North. For 18 months we all took the long road around and over our railway bridge until Queen Elizabeth opened our new much ‘bigger’ ‘higher’ new bridge 18 months later.
I will add a couple of photos hopefully of interest.

bola_bridge6.jpg

bola_bridge7.jpg

bola_5.jpg

I have no doubt many kiwis are dabbling growing their own. I am pleased to see our illustrious Government has decided not to ban smoking across New Zealand come 2025. I was planning to move to Aussie….lol

Cheers
Jenny

Orson Carte

I know the bridge well. I've driven through Wairoa many times, en route to Gisborne.
For general interest here's a couple of pics of the 'Rothman's Tobacco Factory' in nearby Napier. (That I'd mentioned, above).
It no longer operates as such and is nowadays just a featured 'historic site'. It was originally functional as 'The National Tobacco Company's' factory and was rebuilt after the major earthquake in 1931.
Much of the city was also rebuilt in the style in vogue at the time - Art Deco. And this feature of the city is promoted as perhaps its greatest tourist attraction.

Rothmans.jpg Rothmans Entrance.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.