Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlisk

Greetings fellow enjoyers of tobacco!

I am a pipe and cigar smoker. I like to get my hands into my hobbies, and in the past I have attempted to grow tobacco. Actually, I succeeded at the growing part. After that...not so much. Anyway, I decided to give it another go this year, and also decided to try to find a community that could support/encourage me through the process. Hopefully that's here.

I also tried my hand at rolling cigars for the first time today (purchased leaf blends at WLT), and am very excited to continue to do that.

Looking forward to learning and sharing. Time to go dig through past posts and see what I can learn!

Charly

Welcome Garlisk,
I think you found the right place ;)

Good luck with your new crop, be sure to read the FAQ and the right sections of the forum about the curing methods, air curing is really easy and does not need a lot of work.
If you can build a kiln, you will be amazed how it can enhance your tobacco !

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. If you enter your general location into your profile, it will appear beside each of your posts. That's not all that important for rolling cigars, but is helpful to other members in answering your growing questions.

Do post pics of your home-rolled cigars in the Pics of Your Sticks thread. And feel free to start your own grow log in the Grow Blogs section.

You may find it helpful to bookmark the Index to Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

Bob

greenmonster714

Welcome aboard. I did see your first cigar post. Good job with that by the way. Tons of great threads on how to process tobacco so your in the right place. Look forward to watching your garden grow...lots of pics please..lol.

And a welcome from me as well.

My first experience at this game and have found the growing part easy. With harvesting under way the hardest part of it all is just starting. This is a great site for finding info though.

Garlisk

I've been reading through all the key threads, faq's, and grow logs...so much information on here. I still have a million questions, but I'm going to keep reading and learning as I go.
Perhaps when my seeds arrive (ordered like 7 varieties from NWS) I'll start a grow log. I checked my space (i'm in an urban area) and I have room for about 20 or maybe 30 plants...but I'd rather start smaller and have room to move and inspect the plants. I'm also not going to plant all 7 varieties...probably pick 2 or 3 to start. I don't want to overwhelm myself too much.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to roll some more cigars, too.

Garlisk

Connecticut Broadleaf
Florida Sumatra
Havana K2-24
Little Dutch
PA Red
Cuban Criollo 98
Lancaster Seed Leaf

I think my primary concern with planting too many varieties is the post-growing work involved with curing, kilning, and storing. I'll probably store the rest of the seeds for the following year. If I have success I can always expand my growing area, too. I'm using about 1/5th of our total yard area for tobacco...that's all I could get out of the rest of the family...but I think I could persuade them to give me more if I'm successful.

Little Dutch was listed as Cigar/Pipe tobacco, so I definitely want to grow that as a smoker of both. I'm not sure what else I'll pick. I'd really like to have 3 varieties that could make a decent cigar, but at the same time I'm not sure its all that important for my first go-around with growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.