Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

FarmVille 2018 - Sig's Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sig

FarmVille 2018
Welcome to my grow blog! This is my first time growing tobacco. I plan on keeping the entire operation inside my apartment. I will be growing tobacco that I hope to use primarily for loose leaf chew; however, I may also try to make some moist snuff (I really like WG Kodiak), and may also try rolling a few cigars.

I look forward to sharing the process and would very much appreciate any feedback!
Here is what my set up looks like today:IMG_7598.jpg
I have a tower fan blowing a very light breeze across my plants to the temperature below 95 degrees (my lights can get pretty hot, especially when they're so close to my plants).

Grow Log:
2/27/18 - I filled my cells with Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting mix. After moistening the soil for a few days, I planted Burley 21, TN 90 LC, Small Stalk Black Mammoth, and White Mammoth (bought them off amazon from Sustainable Seed Company). I did not use any fertilizer. I put the plastic cover over my cells. I turned my lights for 8 hours each day. I kept the soil moist (although not moist enough, as I later realized) by putting water in the underneath tray, as well as occasionally spraying the surface with a very light mist (using this spay bottle) 2-3 times a day.
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 5.44.32 PM.jpg Each rectangle represents 6 cells.

3/5/18 - Wahoo! I woke up to sprouts!I also found out I hadn't been putting enough water in the botom tray because a couple of my cells were visibly dry. This stunted the growth of some of the seedlings a little bit.
IMG_7583.jpgIMG_7581.jpg:)

3/7/18 - Keeping the soil good and moist. Misting 3-4 times each day. I learned that seedlings shouldn't be exposed to temperatures over 95°F, so I moved a tower fan adjacent to my growing table and set it to the lowest setting. The light breeze keeps the heat from getting too high.

3/12/18 - Good growth! Today I started thinning out weaker plants from each cell. The Burley 21 is growing noticalby faster than the others. Overall, they're all growing well except for the couple of cells that got too dry at the beginning.
Untitled.jpg

3/19/18 - Growing, growing, GROWING! All of the plants have taken off really well. I noticed that some of the cells have little white roots that have poked through the bottom of their cells and are dipping directly into the water tray underneath. I plan on transplanting the larger ones ASAP.
IMG_7589.jpg

3/20/18 - The plants are out of control. It looks like some of the leaves grew a centimeter overnight.
IMG_7599.jpg
I don't have any pots. Instead, I think what I'm going to do is transplant the bigguns into solo cups that are filled with more MG Moisture Control Potting mix. I'm going to poke 3 holes poked in the bottom of them and set them in another container sort of like a larger watering tray. My long term plan is to transplant the biggest plants into 5 gallon buckets once they outgrow their solo cups.

Questions (Please help!) :confused:

1. What about fertilizer? I bought some Miracle Gro All Purpose Plant Food today. Should I use it on the soil of my solo cups before I transplant them? If so, how much?
  2. I also have some Miracle Gro Cactus, Palm & Citris Potting Mix. Should I mix some of that in with the soil in my solo cups?
  3. Is there anything I should be doing differently?
I'm having a lot of fun growing these plants! I hope I don't mess them up!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's an ambitious rig. I assume the 5 gallon buckets will go in there in due time.

Look at the bag of your MiracleGro mix that you are already using or plan to use. Most likely they already have plenty of fertilizer for growth prior to your final transplant. As for supplemental fertilizer, just make sure the source of K is not KCl or "muriate" of potash. Excess chlorine will reduce combustion. That's not an issue for smokeless preps, but may render cigars inflammable. Chlorine content is irrelevant for little seedlings.

Good luck with your grow. Perhaps, once you return to Earth, you can grow tobacco in real dirt.

Bob

greenmonster714

An indoor tobacco grow. Now that gets me excited. I'm surprised I missed this thread until now. Years ago I used to grow indoors with hydro setups and I did some soil grows too. But then one early morning a bunch of nice police officers dressed in black pajamas come barrelling through my door and damn near killed my attack toy poodle. Since that enlightening event I tended no garden in my home.

Anyways, you'll not have to worry about such things. I guess my first question would be. What kind of light do you plan on using to complete the grow? You also have to figure out how large of a footprint your lamp will support. 5gal buckets are good but you'll need something to catch runoff. Better yet it's a good idea to just add water into the catch pan and let it soak up what it needs for about an hour. Then reach in with a turkey baster and suck out remaining water. Timely yes but effective. It encourages roots to seek deep into the medium. Which is not typical of tobacco. Their roots usually spread rarther than shove a tap root down.

I'm sure indoor tobacco would be a challenge. If I had the room and equipment I'd be jacking up my power bill too. Growing tobacco that is...lol.

Best of luck to ya. I'll be watching this blog all season.

Reactions: Sig

Sig

Hello everyone!

I'm sure many of you have been eagerly wondering and waiting to hear about the status of FarmVille 2018[SUP]™[/SUP]
The suspense is over. I'm here today to put your minds at ease because my indoor grow is alive and well!

Since I first sewed the seeds, nearly two months ago, I have have enjoyed the entire operation tremendously. I am very pleased at how well my plans have come to fruition thus far. That's not to say that my grow has been a seamless success. I have constantly found my grow confront me with unexpected problems; however, adjusting for these problems as they arise has made the process all the more enjoyable.

I have not made any blog updates because, frankly, by the time I finish working on my grow, studying online tobacco resources, reviewing my grow plans, and documenting the whole process for my personal records, I'm pretty much all "tobacco-ed" out for the day. This is disappointing because I had hoped that by updating my blog regularly, I could get some valuable advice from the veteran growers on this site. However! I have been keeping a detailed record of my grow. And so, rather than updating this grow blog over and over, I plan on posting one big record of everything at the end. I am looking forward to sharing my grow in its entirety with everyone.

I've come to realize that "farming" tobacco in my apartment is not something I'm going to master in one grow cycle. Studying tobacco literature only offers guidance, it cannot execute the hands on process for me. This has not discouraged me from growing, but only further augmented my motivation to understand all that contributes to actually producing a high quality indoor tobacco grow.

This what my grow looks like like right now!

IMG_7747.jpg

Not Pictured: Ex Girlfriend who said my tobacco grow was "a stupid waste of time"

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I see you've thinned them out quite a bit. They do look healthy, and appear to be growing well for bucket-grown plants (typically 2/3 the size of field-grown plants).

Bob

Sig

Yes it's been an unfortunate necessity considering my current light footprint. I started with 72 cells, then thinned it to 15 solo-cups, then thinned it to 10 solo-cups, and finally I thinned it down to three plants in the buckets. If I had a larger light footprint, things might be different. But as it stands, there can only be 3.

I sewed a few hundred seeds to fill three pots.

And now, as I look at the three plants rooted in their 5 gallon buckets, I am reminded of these great words from Macho Man Randy Savage:

Status
Not open for further replies.