Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

FDA plan on banning menthol cig and flavored e-juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A curious issue is the FDA's mandate. They are not legally permitted to ban tobacco sales. But if you demand that tobacco's defining constituent (nicotine) be removed, is it still tobacco? Does that not functionally ban tobacco sales?

I assume that unprocessed, whole leaf tobacco sales simply cannot be banned by the FDA, under present legislation.

Bob

burge

Menthol and all flavoured cigarettes and tobacco is banned in Alberta to deter kids from smoking. I can't see them banning leaf or taking all the nicotine in cigarettes. I know they have tried the first Marlborough I had under the FDA rating was about 1.6mg of nicotine the last I looked it was .09mg of nicotine and to be truthful its not satisfying and makes you want to smoke more.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have no doubt whatsoever that this is being pushed by the cigarette companies to increase their profits. Typically, a cig smoker craves a certain number of cigarettes a day. So for a "10 a day" smoker, he is getting 10mg of nicotine a day. If the nicotine content is cut in half that same smoker will crave 20 cigarettes a day, thus doubling the cigarette companies profits.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Although JBD's notion seems, on its surface, to be conjectural, that effect was well documented with smokers who went from full-strength cigarettes to light or ultra-light cigarettes. They seemed to intuitively maintain the same daily nicotine intake after the switch. The side effect of that was deeper inhales as well as increased number and frequency of cigarettes.

Bob

buck

Although JBD's notion seems, on its surface, to be conjectural, that effect was well documented with smokers who went from full-strength cigarettes to light or ultra-light cigarettes. They seemed to intuitively maintain the same daily nicotine intake after the switch. The side effect of that was deeper inhales as well as increased number and frequency of cigarettes.

Bob

Assuming the law makers are aware of these studies it would seem then that their intention would be to prevent new smoker addiction VS curtailing regular smoker nicotine intake. Tobacco companies would benefit short term with an increase of sales but possible future profit hit with a reduced customer base.

burge

I don't think much will change. People with find a source of nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.