Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New member in Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norrlander

Hi All
I'm English but living in northern Sweden. I'm here to learn about growing tobacco up here and how to process my own aromatic Cavendish.
- Tony -

burge

Welcome China is the person to ask we have the same type of growing season.

Norrlander

Welcome, Tony. How long is your growing season?

Bob

Generally quite short, last year we still had some frost in May. This year so far we still have deep snow at the moment. I'm planning to have a couple of greenhouses done before next winter though.
On the plus side, we get almost 24hrs of daylight at Midsummer!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the data on Umeå-Sweden, it looks like you may have success with producing leaf, but that producing seed may be a challenge. I assume that increasing distance from the coast shortens the growing season. (It looks like roughly the same latitude as Iceland.)

UmeaSweden_growingSeason.JPG

Bob

Norrlander

Thanks Bob - that graph looks about right, we're about 30 miles south of Umea. We're also within a mile of the coast, so I would say our time spent at 'frigid' is just a little shorter than shown.
If I can get leaves for now I'll be happy enough. Any recommomendations for varieties?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Any recommomendations for varieties?
For making Cavendish, you can use any tobacco variety. The nicotine strength of the Cavendish, as well as the intensity of the aromas and taste, are usually reflected in the variety used.

If your plan is to add aromatic casing to the Cavendish, then I would suggest starting with a mild, air-cured tobacco. You might track down some Alida tobacco seed, which is a Swedish land race of tobacco. Also, most Virginias or mild burley (Harrow Velvet, Golden Burley) or Maryland would do. Most Orientals come to mind.

For making the Cavendish, see this thread: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/637-Making-Black-Cavendish-Pipe-Tobacco

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Welcome Tony. Back in the day we was growing tobacco in almost hole Sweden. But like Bob tell you it can be hard to get useful seed.

Nic

Welcome! I tried growing tobacco 3 summers ago just across the pond, 50 km east of Vasa. Planted late and harvested really nice big leafs of both Alida and Small stock black mammorh. Failed the drying process tho, due to a wet autumn. If you have the oppartunity to dry and cure inside you will surely succeed! Good luck!

//Nic

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Welcome! I tried growing tobacco 3 summers ago just across the pond, 50 km east of Vasa. Planted late and harvested really nice big leafs of both Alida and Small stock black mammorh. Failed the drying process tho, due to a wet autumn. If you have the oppartunity to dry and cure inside you will surely succeed! Good luck!//Nic
I know that they between 1740 and 1770. Have been growing tobacco in 85 city's in Sweden and 12 in Finland.The city that Surprise me most is Jakobstad)- Because you mention Vasa I can tell that they was growing tobacco from 1762 to 1809 (perhaps even after that year but every document I have found that involves Finland end that "magic year").

Norrlander

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!
Bob - thanks again for the information; keep it coming, I'm a complete beginner ;-) That cavendish thread is how I found this forum and the reason I decided to join...

Nic - great to hear from someone who shares my climate. I should be able to dry indoors by the end of this year. As for seeds, maybe in thr future the greenhouses will enable me. In the meantime, I'll be relying on the efforts of the other fine folks here to keep me supplied :)

Nic

I know that they between 1740 and 1770. Have been growing tobacco in 85 city's in Sweden and 12 in Finland.The city that Surprise me most is Jakobstad)- Because you mention Vasa I can tell that they was growing tobacco from 1762 to 1809 (perhaps even after that year but every document I have found that involves Finland end that "magic year").

There was a large cigar/snus producer named Strengbergs operating in Jakobstad area untill Finland entered the Eu if I remember correctly. Im in my mid 30s and remember my dad leaving those ”oddly” shaped snus cans laying around.

I moved a bit south to a warmer climate 2,5 years ago and my tobacco ”operation” ended.

Good luck on your grow!

//Nic

burge

I posted a pic of Dons lemon in the sale section for Black Friday What do you smoke? The most important question to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.