Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New 1.5mm budget shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

This thing, available through WLT, of course, is the same design as the 0.8 and 1.0mm shredders, except it cuts at 1.56mm or approximately 1/16". I just used it on some Perique for the first time and it's a perfect cut for pipe tobacco.

IMG_20180327_221241321~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Truth be told (unless I've been mislead). There has been a huge conspiracy by the manufacturer of these budget shredders (I'm pretty sure they are all manufactured by the same company). There is no difference between the 1mm and the 1.57mm. The 1mm has been 1.57 all along. They've been marketed as 1mm since the day they were first manufactured.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For $35, it's hard to complain, conspiracy or not. (https://wholeleaftobacco.com/Budget-Manual-Shredder-15mm-wide-cut-1MMshrdr.htm )

I got out one of those foreign rulers, just to see what we're talking about. 1.5 mm is double the width of typical cigarette shred. That makes sense. The manufacturer just left out every other cutting wheel. My own hand-shred (which is pretty close to the original John Cotton's pipe tobacco shred) is in the ballpark of 2.5 mm.

The wide-cut should result in half the total stickiness accumulating on the cutters, per pound of leaf that you shred. It also produces a lower burning temperature for pipe puffing, compared to a fine shred.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

As a foreigner who works with steel, I have to work both sides of the shred measurements. Truth be told, I would prefer to call it 1/16", but I don't want to step on any toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.