Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plants GrowingToo Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxy

Hi all, looking for some advice. I have a big problem and was wondering if I can trim the leaves this late in the game. I still have over a month to go before they can go outside. I'm running out of room, at least for them to get the proper lighting. The large plant on the left is Canadian Virginia Gold and on the left is Burley. The Canadian was planted Feb 16th and the Burley March 2nd. Would I kill the plants if I cut each leaf half off? I already been giving these away, but still over whelmed! Any thing I can do to slow growth! Sorry tried to upload pics but "manage attachments" just freezes, can't add.The leaf size of the Virginia is a dollar bill size while the Burley is only dime size. Huge difference in just a couple of weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 5

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Clip the leaves. You can clip off 1/2 to 2/3 of each leaf, avoiding the growing tip of the stalk as well as the uppermost leaf. I sometimes have to clip weekly as transplant time approaches. A month after transplant, you will be hard pressed to identify those clipped leaves. They just become trash leaf at the bottom of the stalk anyway.

Garden20140511_1154_clippedSeedlings02_400.jpg

Clipping will cause the roots to expand and the stalk to thicken.

Bob

JennyLeez

Oh my goodness, really!!! You do this!!!
The poor things :(

Well it sure is turning out interesting comparing growing from one end of the earth to the other. I have never heard of this before.

Cheers
Jenny

Orson Carte

A vigorous 'haircut' works equally well, either side of the equator. Market gardeners have been doing this very thing (to cabbages, lettuces, etc) for donkey's years. It actually reduces 'shock' when the transplanted seedling is struggling to send out roots, and at the same time minimising water-loss through transpiration.

Have a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4TDTo5F28

ChinaVoodoo

Hey man, studies show that in Ontario, tobacco should be planted last week of May to first week of June for maximum production. I recommend transplanting up to 1501 pots. They might not look bigger but are in fact around 750mL. Those cups of yours are probably around 300mL.

You will notice a lot of people down south using itty bitty pots, and that's fine because they're planting 6-8 weeks before planting. You planted late February by the looks of it, and that's 12-14 weeks before planting outside. (I've been through this, and as a result I have 200 1gallon pots in my garage).

I agree with haircuts, but there's no sense in growing a plant longer if you don't let the roots grow. Those 1501 pots, and there's a tall variant might be $5 for 15. Check an indoor/hydro gardening shop.

Coxy

Hey man, studies show that in Ontario, tobacco should be planted last week of May to first week of June for maximum production. I recommend transplanting up to 1501 pots. They might not look bigger but are in fact around 750mL. Those cups of yours are probably around 300mL.You will notice a lot of people down south using itty bitty pots, and that's fine because they're planting 6-8 weeks before planting. You planted late February by the looks of it, and that's 12-14 weeks before planting outside. (I've been through this, and as a result I have 200 1gallon pots in my garage).I agree with haircuts, but there's no sense in growing a plant longer if you don't let the roots grow. Those 1501 pots, and there's a tall variant might be $5 for 15. Check an indoor/hydro gardening shop.
THX for info, a brush cut they get and the larger pots for root growth, was just worried that the leafs may of passed a point of bleeding to death if cut this size.

JennyLeez

A vigorous 'haircut' works equally well, either side of the equator. Market gardeners have been doing this very thing (to cabbages, lettuces, etc) for donkey's years. It actually reduces 'shock' when the transplanted seedling is struggling to send out roots, and at the same time minimising water-loss through transpiration.

I have not seen that down over here. But I guess our farmers do not need to. They have heaps of space/water and by August (February up there) warm enough to plant out.
Thanks for the video link, I ended up time wasting watching the harvesters. Amazing machine huh.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.