Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Questions of types, what to expect Virginian Dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuedeHollow

I have 5 types from tobaccoseed.co.uk, the types are their Shirey, Black Sea Samsun, Virginian Dark, Virginian Gold #1, Burley Original and also a swedish type Åhus from a swedish source. Because it says very little about every kind I want to ask you what you could tell me of each type especially Virginian Dark and Shirey. Are they a flue-cured or fire-cured kind? After reading some here on the forum I understand that they aint what i first thought to be dark fire-cured types. And also if tobaccoseed.co.uk is a known and good for its products?

SuedeHollow

After reading the forum and finding a similar topic I got my answers but I still wonder if any one had any experience with Dark Virginian, what can you say about it? I also have a typical swedish type Åhus-tobacco, and I'm not sure how to cure it really or what kind it is?

Alpine

http://www.northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm

I think most of the seeds you have come from the above source a few years ago, Skychaser is a serious grower so don’t worry about the quality of your seeds.
I grew 2 different strains of dark Virginia, Goose Creek Red ( my favorite strain so far) and Shirey last year. I’ll regrow Shirey next year as my last year crop was unsatisfactory due to plant bed position.
Dark Va are stronger tasting than most bright leaf and are usually light air cured, I find my GCR just perfect for my everyday cigarette.

pier

SuedeHollow

Thanks for the seed-list, what confuses me is that the site from where i got my seeds also sell Shirey, Goode Creek Red, Stag Horn and Dark Virginia. That makes it a strain in it self, but after reading the other post its likely to be a Shirey.. Anyway I have a go with it, also that Goose Creed Red sound interesting. I also have shirey so we will see what that one will be like.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
You can look at my page, I have grow most of the variants you have listed (and have written little short about them). Shirey is a pretty modern type of dark tobacco. I like older variant better even if Shirey have pretty good yield. I would also say that the "Dark Virginia" variants that I have grown have all been milder in taste than other "Dark" variants, but LNKY:171 was also pretty mild in taste.http://www.infoom.se/mysite/?sida=79268&user=20319

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The terms are a bit confusing. "Dark" tobacco varieties, whether air-cured or fire-cured, typically have larger leaves that are a darker green than varieties that are not "dark". They also tend to have a more dense covering of trichomes (the fine "hairs" on the leaf surface), which causes them to be stickier than non-dark varieties. And they are usually stronger and thicker. There really is no meaning to "light-air-cured" and "dark-air-cured", when it comes to curing technique. You just "air-cure" them. The "dark" varieties just come out darker, regardless.

Most dark varieties can be either air-cured or fire-cured, depending on whether or not you want to add the "smoky" aroma. (Fire-curing originated from the need to prevent air-curing tobacco from molding in a very damp season. The barn air was simply heated to dry it out a bit, but with an open fire, rather than venting the smoke out of a chimney or flue. It's a throwback to the early-to-mid 19th century.)

I really wouldn't worry too much about the details of specific varieties during your first grow. Enjoy the experience, and observe the differences in the plants and in the final leaf that you use. Nearly everything we grow will be different in our second year of growing, because we learn so much that first year. Relax and have fun.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Just like Bob say:"Relax and have fun", what ever you growing that is always the most important thing you shall do! To do everything the right way ain't always so funny, but every session you can do it a little bit different and slowly get your grow better and better. My worst enemy is snail (half true I am my worst enemy)..

skychaser

Most of those came from me. The Burley Original is Burley 21. Not sure what strain the Virginian Gold #1 is. If you e-mail him and ask he will tell you.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Not sure what strain the Virginian Gold #1 is. If you e-mail him and ask he will tell you.
This is what Kenneth R.Keller published about Virginia Gold 1958: "Virginia Gold (reg. No. 5) Virginia Gold which originated at the Virginia AgriculturalExperiment Station, Chatham, Va, was selected from a Cross ofYellow Special X Cash made by E. M. Matthews in 1942 Some of the outstanding characteristics of Virginia Gold are: high yields of good quality leaf when allowed to properly ripenbefore harvest which cures to a rich orange color, high resistancegood root system, stands well both wet andphysiological breakdowns, and hasdry Seasons,very low sucker count. The variety produces broad and long leaves, well spaced on the stalk, and medium high plants. It grows witha slightly yellow cast. It produces vigorous early and full seasongrowth, and has a wide range of! adaptation. The leaf is slightlybrittle.Virginia Gold produces leaf with average nicotine content ofabout 249g and with around 21% sugar. "When I read at tobaccoseed.co.uk I think that is Their "Virginia Gold#1"They also have a "Virginia Gold #2" and this is what they have written about that variant: "VIRGINIAN GOLD # 2By popular demand, we now offer this wonderful F1 variety, said to be the most popular type of tobacco grown in the USA in 2009. This plant grows fast and is also high yielding plant. Leaves turn a bright yellow/orange as they cure. Now also available in Pelleted form." So I think that it is a LC variant of Virginia Gold. But That is only what a hobby grower believe.. I can be wrong

skychaser

The Virginia Gold #1 might be the original Virginia Gold. I know he has made changes over the years on those, so I would ask if you want to be sure. The Virginia Gold #2 is CC27 from Cross Creek seed. It's a sterile hybrid, so no seeds. But it is a great producer! He had another hybrid from Profogen in Brazil called PVH2306 that is the heaviest producing Virginian type I ever grew. But it also is sterile.

I don't think there are any LC bright leaf strains. Larry would know that for sure.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Paul you are right a fast check tell me "fire-cured, Air-cured DARK variants and BURLEY variants". So you seem to have right about LC-variants. Thanks When it comes to CC:27 I think CC:37 would be more interesting for people like you and me, I can't see that it is a F1 hybrid and the yield seems good..

Status
Not open for further replies.