Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Meat Smoker for Fermentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim232118

This is my first post aside from the introduction and I just want to say that I am amazed at the amount of helpful information on this site, it's been very beneficial. Thanks to everyone for the plethora of information.

I am thinking ahead for my fist try at growing tobacco and have gotten everything figured out except fermentation. I am growing tobacco in DFW Texas for cigars, Florida Sumatra, Criollo 98 and Habano 2000, and have considered building a kiln based on the concepts posted on the forum but after smoking a rack of ribs this past weekend I thought a meat smoker would work great. Size of a mini fridge, several racks, digitally controlled low temperature settings, insulated and seals well, drip pan in the bottom for adding humidity. Seems to me like it would be perfect.

I don't think I would use my existing smoker. Not sure how the seasoned smoke/meat smell would translate to the tobacco or be conducive for my application. Buying a new one is not too expensive, about $170, not much more than what it would cost to build something not to mention the time saved. Any thoughts on this? masterbuilt-smokers-mb20071117-c3_1000.jpgmasterbuilt-smokers-mb20071117-77_1000.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The functions of the device seem perfect. Unfortunately, the size is not adequate, unless you are growing only a handful of plants. I would strongly recommend constructing a purpose-built kiln that's way bigger than you think you'll ever need.

Cigar leaf can be huge. And the kilning process requires a minimum of one month per batch. I grow in the range of 200 plants per year. My kiln (http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...oskeletal-Wood-Tobacco-Kiln-Flue-cure-chamber ) takes about a single weekend to build, and will last for year. BUT it's not large enough for my crop. I wish I had been able to accommodate a kiln twice that size in its allotted location. I ALWAYS have a backup of leaf that needs to be kilned.

The skill and tools required to build a functional kiln are fairly minimal. When you finally build a nice kiln (and you will eventually--guaranteed!), you will kick yourself for having not done it sooner.

Bob

greenmonster714

Yeah man, that is a pretty small thing to be packing leaf in. Maybe consider finding an old broken chest freezer and converting that or even consider building one. Local trader ads and sometimes you can find a business that deals in appliances they refurbish.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I will be growing 10 plants to start. Not sure how much size I will need.
The smoker's capacity will easily handle the leaf from 10 plants. My first tobacco crop was a whopping 16 plants. So I'd give it a go with your existing smoker (and that rich, meaty aroma) for 2018, but purchasing a new one just for use as a kiln might be a premature decision.

Here's my first kiln, made from an old wooden toolbox (turned on end) and a 2 quart Crockpot. It uses a hot water heater thermostat to control the Crockpot.

BabyCrockPotKiln20120921_493_doorOpen_400.jpg

Please don't laugh.

I used an ancient, child's sleeping bag zipped over the box for insulation. And it rests on an empty wooden cheese wheel box. It worked just fine, but was painfully tiny.

Bob

Jim232118

I think I'll give meat smoker a go for this year and build your design Bob as I increase the quantity of tobacco for next year. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.