Building a Seed Starting Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Building a Seed Starting Station

Grow-Rack.jpg

Rack, heat mats, trays, thermostat, adjustable lighting.

The last day of March is not an ideal time to begin thinking about constructing a seed starting station, but Terroir Seeds (Underwood Gardens) has posted a long and detailed article on the subject. It discusses their 20 years of experience with specific costs, requirements, light selection, and efficacy. They aren't a tobacco outfit. They do veggies (preferably organic, free-range, sustainable). But this is a really fine article.

http://www.underwoodgardens.com/build-your-own-seed-starting-station/

Bob

Levi Gross

IMG_0522.jpgIMG_0523.jpgIMG_0524.jpgI am running the same setup here at my home. It is well worth the investment and will last for years to come. The article was a great read. I have three T-12 48" lights set up. All three with aquarium and daylight bulbs. Two heat mats and more than enough room for storage. The silver looking insulation around the top is a bubble wrap type material and I am not even sure what it is called. This shelve was purchased at Lowes for around 75$ with 300+ lb. per shelve rating. the only thing I do not like is not actually having a solid flat shelve so today I am going to cut some plywood to place on each shelve. I strongly encourage everyone to read the link Bob has shared to help guide you into having a solid and consistent seed and plant starting station that you can return to year after year. This has also helped safe my plants from cat attacks as they cant get to the top shelves. I wish I would have done this sooner than this year. My past years have been a lot of work and stress moving plants around and making up makeshift lighting hangers etc... Not to mention the cats. This shelve is a-1

TerroirSeeds

Thanks for the kind words - I'm Stephen from Terroir Seeds and the author of the seed starting station article!

I had no idea this setup would work for starting tobacco seeds, but it makes sense now.

Bob, I agree on the timing - it took over a month of off and on writing to get the details and experiences in, to save others from making the same mistakes we did.

Levi- the material is called "Reflectix" - https://www.homedepot.com/.../Reach-Barrier.../204476650... - and has minor insulation qualities but is more of a radiant barrier. I like how you use it - could come in handy for colder climates for retaining more warmth for tomatoes and peppers.

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for the ideas. If you have any questions or ideas on improving the seed rack, please let me know and I'll share it!

Levi Gross

Stephen, It is a pleasure to hear from you. Thanks for the article and the information on the reflection.
Thanks for the kind words - I'm Stephen from Terroir Seeds and the author of the seed starting station article!

I had no idea this setup would work for starting tobacco seeds, but it makes sense now.

Bob, I agree on the timing - it took over a month of off and on writing to get the details and experiences in, to save others from making the same mistakes we did.

Levi- the material is called "Reflectix" - https://www.homedepot.com/.../Reach-Barrier.../204476650... - and has minor insulation qualities but is more of a radiant barrier. I like how you use it - could come in handy for colder climates for retaining more warmth for tomatoes and peppers.

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for the ideas. If you have any questions or ideas on improving the seed rack, please let me know and I'll share it!

Levi Gross

I also find it amazing that you would come across our two post concerning your article. I much appreciate all the hard work you put into the project!

Status
Not open for further replies.