Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seeds from same climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxy

Hi all,Well I bought seeds from all over. Maybe I could spend more time and effort to do a proper study. What I have found is you need to match seeds to your climate.I live in Canada, bought seeds from so far all of US and a supplier from Canada. I matched seeds from my area and found they out preformed other seeds. I use all the same soil, and other criteria and by far I believe the genetics of the seed is modified by the surroundings, hence why I have plants that are growing 3 times better than others, unless you modify your conditions.Your Thoughts?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have planted tobacco seed sent to me from all over the world (well over 100 varieties). I notice no correlation to their originating climate. In the short term, ambient climate can only effect epigenetics. Epigenetic changes seldom outlast the next generation, when conditions have changed.

What exactly does "growing 3 times better" mean?

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Hi all,Well I bought seeds from all over. Maybe I could spend more time and effort to do a proper study. What I have found is you need to match seeds to your climate.I live in Canada, bought seeds from so far all of US and a supplier from Canada. I matched seeds from my area and found they out preformed other seeds. I use all the same soil, and other criteria and by far I believe the genetics of the seed is modified by the surroundings, hence why I have plants that are growing 3 times better than others, unless you modify your conditions.Your Thoughts?
I would say that it doesn't matter much at all. But different district have different problems and that is something to remember. If you for example know that you have problem some specific things in your area you might try to grow variants that have some resistance against that stuff. Just as if you have a short season you might try variants that Mature a little faster. But variants that need more time can sometimes also be useful in your grow I really love some variants that actually doesn't like my short(er) climate. But I know that when they start to put flowers I need to talk one or two plant inside (if I need to take some seed from it) I also use to think oo I need to hurry up because I now have around one week to harvest my other tobacco. So they can also work like a calendar in my garden. I can also say that I have also found out that (most) tobacco can make two cold night pretty good but only very few make Three nights. -but if I was a big grower the alternative to take plants inside would never be a alternative. So that is a big difference thing that small grower can live with is something that would kill bigger grower. Hope you like my thinking about growing and understand what I mean..So now Good luck with your growing

Status
Not open for further replies.