Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Clearly, I smoke my pipe too fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

After enjoying some Five Brothers in my new-ish Radice Rind Pure Pot, I noticed that I had charred some gouges into the lower part of the bowl near the draft hole. Big oops...
Last night I mixed up some 'pipe mud' from my cigar ash and started to repair the damage...
Any tips on building a protective 'cake' in the bottom of the bowl?!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Lane 1-Q or Captain Black Gold (probably come from the same mixing bin) are a mild Honey Cavendish that some folks use for breaking in a new briar. If the new pipe comes with a black coating, then just judicious smoking of anything seems to work. You can also make a thick mixture of honey or molasses and milk for coating the interior. That will char fairly easily.

A common practice with a new pipe is to begin with a 1/4-filled bowl for the first few times, then gradually increase the fill in successive smokes.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

A regular thing they do for people at the pipe shop here is a mixture of honey and pipe ash, pressed into the repair area, allowed too dry a bit, then smoked.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I like it.

When I was young, I would purchase only stylish, full-bent and half-bent pipes. Over the decades I've come to prefer straight pipes with a relatively large bowl and a long shank. I think they smoke better, dry more easily, and are easier to maintain. (But I'm still fond of bulldogs.)

Bob

mwaller

I patched the charred area with pipe mud (ash, water), then gave it light sanding to smooth everything out. Last night, I mixed up some ash and honey to give the bowl a second coat. It's drying now, but the surface looks nice and smooth. I hope it holds!

davek14

I will sometimes mix a little honey with water and coat the inside of a bowl. The, after the next couple smokes I cover the bowl with my thumb and give the spent ash a good shake. That helps build cake with a new pipe even without the honey.

greenmonster714

I patched the charred area with pipe mud (ash, water), then gave it light sanding to smooth everything out. Last night, I mixed up some ash and honey to give the bowl a second coat. It's drying now, but the surface looks nice and smooth. I hope it holds!

That is a nice pipe. Are you going to stain it or leave it like it is. Either way it's a beauty.

mwaller

I'm going to leave it unfinished - that is how it is meant to be. Some people feel that the pipe 'breaths' better without a finish. Personally, I think the porosity of the briar and shape of the bowl are far more important, but whatever. It's an interesting idea.
That is a nice pipe. Are you going to stain it or leave it like it is. Either way it's a beauty.

Levi Gross

I’m a true pipe abuser. Yesterday I scraped what I believe to be a 1/16 cake out of my most smoked briar. I clean my pipes maybe once a month, and I smoke a very fine blend. Most times packing the upper half of the bowl with all the dust of my blend. It’s always a hot smoke and I am horrible about hotboxing my pipes and inhaling every bit. The particular pipe I speak of I have about 300$ invested in it from original purchase and sending it off to Briarville for a new custom stem. My belief is YOUR PIPE NEEDS TO BE AS TOUGH AS YOU ARE. To each man his own ritual, but a little damage or abuse adds character. After all we’re not taking them with us when we go. Best wishes to you and your beautiful pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.