Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is it normal for snus to have a "barnyard" smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnussyDIY

I just whipped up my first batch following SqeezyJohns Ettan Recipe and it's currently breathing in the fridge. The thing I'm worried about is the "barnyard" smell and if I didn't cook it for long enough. The snus did turn a dark brown color and I had it at the 185 F for 24 hours, plus another 14 after adding lye water. I really hope this is normal and will get better with age!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes it's normal, just give it some time and it will smell and taste much better. I can also tell you that different types taste different.

SnussyDIY

Thank you for easing my concerns. I'm excited and was nervous that I might have messed something up.

Cheers!

greenmonster714

I made some with the same recipe a few weeks ago. It does have a bad smell once removed from the jars.

What leaf did you use? I think I may have used to much grinded up stems. My end product gets very bitter tasting after a short period of time. I'm guessing it's the stems I don't know for sure. I'm going to try a small batch of just leaf and see if that makes a difference.

SnussyDIY

I used half Burley half Flue Cured Virginia from a site im not sure I can name. I need to put in an order with BigBonner since I hear his leaf is great. I didn't use midribs but did use the other stems. Maybe it's the large amount of burley making the product bitter, assuming that's what you used. I'm new to this, so let me know how it turns out!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Caveat: I know almost nothing about smokeless tobacco forms.

Bitterness is usually due to a high (alkaline) pH.

Bob

greenmonster714

I used half Burley half Flue Cured Virginia from a site im not sure I can name. I need to put in an order with BigBonner since I hear his leaf is great. I didn't use midribs but did use the other stems. Maybe it's the large amount of burley making the product bitter, assuming that's what you used. I'm new to this, so let me know how it turns out!

Your leaf combination soundsuch better than mine. I made to much the first time around. I should have made a few small batches to help dial in a recipe. Please give some feedback on this thread when your current batch gets completed. What you of flavoring did you use? I used Wintergreen for mine. Trying to copy Grizzly Wintergreen. Mine looks good and smells just like an open can of Grizzly but the bitterness just ruins everything.
Caveat: I know almost nothing about smokeless tobacco forms.

Bitterness is usually due to a high (alkaline) pH.

Bob

Yeah, I gave that some thought when I chose the leaf. I used BigBs dark air if I remember right. The stems we're from all of the tobacco whole leaf I've gotten in the past 6months. I'm pretty convinced that the stems are what is giving it that bitter taste. It all looks and smells great but that fowl taste ruins it. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

SnussyDIY

This current batch is a copy of Ettan snus that SqueezyJohn posted, which is only flavored with salt and cocoa powder. My next batch I plan on leaving out the cocoa powder and trying some different flavours such as: Watkins Rootbeer (available at Walmart), some different mints from loranns and Watkins, a copy of General Original with pepper and bergamot, and I'm also going to attempt a Moscow Mule flavor which should be interesting. I'll definitely let you know how it goes and plan on posting future recipes to this forum.

As for the bitterness, I've heard that Dark Air Cured is really bitter. I'd try to mix in some Virginia to sweeten it up. My next mix is going to be 1/3 Burley, 1/3 Dark Air, and 1/3 Virginia. *Fingers crossed

greenmonster714

Moscow Mule. Now that sounds interesting. Cocoa powder..hmm. Do you get a chocolate flavor with that? I would think it would be a little bitter without some sweetener. You've got some interesting projects ahead. I'll be watching for sure.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
This current batch is a copy of Ettan snus that SqueezyJohn posted, which is only flavored with salt and cocoa powder. My next batch I plan on leaving out the cocoa powder and trying some different flavours such as: Watkins Rootbeer (available at Walmart), some different mints from loranns and Watkins, a copy of General Original with pepper and bergamot, and I'm also going to attempt a Moscow Mule flavor which should be interesting. I'll definitely let you know how it goes and plan on posting future recipes to this forum. As for the bitterness, I've heard that Dark Air Cured is really bitter. I'd try to mix in some Virginia to sweeten it up. My next mix is going to be 1/3 Burley, 1/3 Dark Air, and 1/3 Virginia. *Fingers crossed
I really love both Burley and Dark-air variants in Snus. I found that Burley gives the "Snus" a taste like Peanuts while Dark varieties more go in the tone of Hazelnuts. Then there are varieties of both types that taste more and variants that taste less.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Hasse, have you ever used stems in the mix?
Yes I use to have little strems in my snus because I believe that it make it better. But if I call be honest I can't say that it really gets better (I think so) but if you would ask my neighbors they would say no..

SnussyDIY

We'll, the smell is starting to tone down and getting a hint more of a chocolate smell. It's only been 2 days aging, but I just tried a dip. Tasted pretty bleh, had to spit it out. It had that "barnyard" taste in the front, with an almost dry tobacco taste in the back, sort of like putting dry powdered tobacco in your mouth. No chocolate flavor so far. Hopefully it's gets a little better with age, otherwise I'll probably be covering it in mint. Regardless, it's seems I've got an usable snus my first try, just unsure what to do differently in the future.

squeezyjohn

That barnyard smell (I think we all know what we're really talking about here!) - comes from the ammonia released when you add the alkali (lye water) which is what really converts the tobacco mix in to snus. Normally the stronger the tobacco is, the more ammonia is produced - although if you added too much lye water that could also fo it. The smell will dissipate - make sure you keep the lid of the container not airtight for the ageing to allow the ammonia to get out. For me it only completely disappears after a month or so ageing - although I have come to like it fresher with a little dung element to the snus! However - i agree that if it's too fresh and ammonia-ey it makes me feel a bit nauseous.

Status
Not open for further replies.