Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New T13 Viso Dominican filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I just opened a bale of T13 Viso. This is what the grower told me about it.

"[FONT=&amp]T-13 tabacco is a derived tobacco. of the Creole seed 98 and Cuban pilot. grafted by the tobacco institute. with a process of 13 years in cultivation. to perfect the seed. for this reason the intituto put him T-13"

He does not speak fluent English, so there is likely something lost in the translation, but you get the jist.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
T13 viso.jpg

I rolled a puro and the first thought to come to mind was "nutty" followed by cinnamon and nutmeg. About half way through, i started getting cocoa and cherries. The burn was excellent and it left a noticeable chocolate aftertaste.

I'll have it listed soon.

mwaller

I received my pound of T-13 Viso today, and I couldn't wait to try it out. So I grabbed a leaf if Sumatra binder and set to work. The first thing I noticed was the texture - this leaf is thinner than any Viso I've ever seen. It feels a lot like the Sumatra binder, actually, and has thin veins. The leaves are relatively small and uniform in size, making them easy to roll with minimal waste. Whereas my typical 50 RG cigar has about 4 leaves, it took 7 leaves of T-13 Viso to get the right girth.
After rolling the stick, I pressed it in the mold for a few minutes to even things out. I applied a band to keep the binder from unraveling, then lit it up....
IMG_20180419_223626393_LL.jpg
Right off the bat, I could tell - this my kind of cigar! The smoke is smooth with a very pleasant tobacco flavor. Hints of nuts and cocoa drift in and out. A slight sweetness develops on the palate. The mouth feel is creamy, almost oily at times. This is good stuff!
At the midpoint, I can feel the potency of the leaf. Don't let the texture if the leaf fool you - this is fairly strong tobacco. Despite that, it burns very well and could easily be used as seco if you don't mind the kick!
The flavor intensity is medium, and would probably suit most tastes. Those who prefer a strong tasting cigar would do well to add a leaf of their favorite ligero to ramp up the flavor. Those who prefer lighter flavors could add a few seco to mellow things out a bit more.
This is the base filler I've been waiting for! I look forward to blending more with it! A+!

mwaller

Just to be clear, the binder you see in the picture is Sumatra. However, the T-13 has a similar texture and would probably work well for a binder or wrapper on a small cigar. The leaves are fairly small.
Looks and sounds like an interesting wrapper candidate.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This specific Dominican cigar, from Exactus (never heard of them), claims to be the only commercial use of T13 wrapper.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/puro-ambar-legacy-by-exactus-cigars/1487247/

Curiously, all of their cigars utilize a "wine fermented" Criollo 98 binder. That is, they are flavored cigars. WLT's T13 viso is quite thin and mild. Perhaps the T13 viso is the same shade-grown leaf (just higher on the stalk) that provides the wrapper. In the video (previous post), the wrapper leaves are lovely, but seem smallish, so the upper leaves would likely be too small to use effectively as wrappers.

Bob

Tutu

Bob, faster than you'd think, see below.
From an official seed distributor in Santiago de los Caballeros.
I'll send you a pm to discuss how we can get it in Virginia.

IMG_20180606_205751672.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Curiouser and curiouser.

Developent of a new variety of tobacco: INTABACO- T13 said:
Written: June 16, 2013
Villa González.- The Tobacco Institute of the Dominican Republic, formally presented the development of a new variety of tobacco, the INTABACO T-13.

During an event on the occasion of its 51st anniversary, the result of the investigation made over eleven years by Tirso Ramírez, Sonia Jorge and Reino Domínguez was presented. Ramírez highlighted the advantages of this new variety of the aromatic leaf, and explained that it is the result of local and foreign crossing.

According to the researcher explained, the INTABACO T3 variety has tolerance to the diseases known as 'Pata Prieta' and the Blue Mold, which limit the productivity in the cultivation of tobacco. He said that the average productivity of this new variety of tobacco is 2.38 quintals per task [~525 pounds per ?bale?].

According to the professional of the engineering, of that variety can be produced wrapper, binder and filler, depending on the care that this crop has.

http://elcaribe.com.do/2013/06/16/desarrollan-nueva-variedad-tabaco-intabaco-t13/
T-13 tabacco is a derived tobacco. of the Creole seed 98 and Cuban pilot.
So this appears to be a crossing of Piloto Cubano and Criollo 98, developed over a period of 11 years by Intabaco in the Dominican Republic. It is resistant to Blue Mold and (maybe) Black Shank. I can't figure out what the "average productivity" statement means.

I haven't found a stitch of information beyond that.

Bob

Tutu

I'll solve your productivity puzzle in a couple of steps.

Here in the Dominican Republic they refer to quintals, or centana, as 100 lbs. Only if you'd explicity mention it's metric quintals, it'd be 100 kg. So the 2.38 qq in this case are 238 lbs. The "task" that is mentioned in the text is a translation 'error'. In the DR they use a measurement of land called "tarea", which would literally translate to "homework", or "task". About 6.5 tarea would be an acre, or 16 tarea to get a hectare. So 2.38 qq/tarea would be the same as 1547 lbs/acre or 1730 kg/ha.

JOE1977

I have a lb showing up tomorrow. I am excited for this as the description sounds like what I have been wanting in flavor and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.