Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Devil in the Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the early 1970s, when Dr. Atkins first published his book on a ketogenic diet (strangely enough, called the Atkins Diet!), I was trying to shed 20 pounds. I ate hard boiled eggs, dunked in a pile of mayo for meal after meal. Nary a molecule of carbohydrate passed my lips. So I have an unhealthy opinion of plain hard boiled eggs. I lost the 20 pounds, as well as any desire to see, much less eat another hard boiled egg for a couple of decades. (I clearly recall the moment when my liver finally exhausted its supply of glycogen (stores of carbs). It was a sudden and strange sensation of overwhelming hunger. Mother Nature doesn't like Dr. Atkins.)

Deviled eggs, and well seasoned egg salad in a sandwich is appetizing. And I don't mind a sliced hard boiled egg on a salad--with tons of dressing. But a straight hard boiled egg is always a challenge. A pickled egg is like a new food group.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Physiologically, a diet that is nearly carb free forces the body to metabolize the fats for energy, converting them through metabolic hocus pocus into glucose for cellular fuel. So all those fats don't get saved for a rainy day, which is otherwise the case. The high fat, high protein diet doesn't seem to significantly affect vascular plaque.

But we are engineered to eat a mix of foods that includes carbohydrates. When the Lewis and Clark expedition moved across the great plains, they were eating bison almost exclusively. According to their journals, each man (between 33 and 58 of them at various times) consumed 7 pounds of bison per day--and they were nearly starving. Bison meat is much leaner than beef. (The all protein diet probably took a toll on their kidneys, but we'll never know.) It took their meeting with Sacagawea to clue them into the need to eat vegetables as well. A woman's touch.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Ok Bob, Its time you got a few hens of your own to avoid the chaos involved with such things. 10 hens for me produce 4 dozen eggs a week usually minimum. So I eat a lot of fresh eggs every which way and provide for friends and family.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Let's see...4 dozen eggs every 7 days.... I would need to eat nearly 7 eggs every day!

[
During the French Revolution, King Louis XVI was being held under "house arrest" in Paris by the revolutionaries. He and the Queen managed to escape, in disguise. They fled to the north by carriage. Nearing the border (and freedom), they halted at a roadhouse for breakfast. The ill-fated Louis ordered an omelette. "How many eggs would you like in your omelette, good citizen?"

Well, poor King Louis had never set foot in a place as crude as a kitchen or ...gasp...a barnyard, and may have never even seen an unbeaten egg in his life. "A dozen," the monarch is said to have replied.

The suspicious traveler was immediately reported to authorities, and was returned to captivity in Paris, to await the guillotine. All because he ordered too many eggs!
]

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
You don't have to eat them ALL yourself, you could share, believe me how much people appreciate fresh farm eggs.. If I eat breakfast it consists of 4 eggs over easy , 4 bacon, 1 jalapeno fried in bacon grease with a side of fried tomatoes 2 pieces of toast and butter and a huge glass of milk. I never refridgerate them even unless I hard boil them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'll pass on the chickens, the chicken coop, the fencing, the chicken scratch, the predator control, the daily gathering of the eggs, the chicken shit management and the food giveaway program. Eggs go for about a dollar a dozen, and I usually consume fewer than a dozen a month. Not that eating too many eggs would cause me to die young.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
They are not for everyone, just watch that salmonella, the devils in the eggs , heh heh You choose store bought.

tullius

Gotta say, I was surprised to not see a single deviled egg in this thread given the title. I'll have to go find my cards and remedy this if nobody else does.

Pickled eggs are a noble pursuit though: there is absolutely nothing better than a bracingly cold purple pickled hard boiled egg deeply infused with onions and beets for a couple of months and then well seasoned with salt and pepper streamside on a hot day while stalking trout with a fly you tied the previous winter.

For some reason, they always taste better if someone else makes and brings them.

GreenDragon

After re-reading this thread... I boiled 5 eggs and some pickling brine. No beets in this house (yuck) so I reached for the bottle of red food coloring. Oh yeah, we're out - used it to make red velvet cake last weekend. What else... score! An old unused packet of Easter Egg dye tablets. This one looks red (plop, fizz!). No, that would be purple. Purple pickled eggs. :LOL:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Buy a small jar of pickled beets. Throw out the beets, if you don't want to ever eat them. Store the beet pickle juice in the fridge as a pH insensitive dye. And the pickle flavor is nice. Consider it a culinary investment.

[Actually, a baby, pickled beet on top of a salad, and doused in the glue of your choice, might be something to try.]

Bob

Moth

But. Like, didn't every corner store, gas station, bar, and golf club have a jar of pickled eggs and another jar of pickled sausages sitting beside the cash register between 1970 and 1990
In England, yes. Pickled Eggs were a pub food before every pub become a gastropub, a mainstay of chip shop extras and snack of choice for people who are now in the 60 to 80yr age bracket.

They've fallen out of fashion. The other place I've seen embrace pickling food was the Czech republic, with pickled cheese, pickled hotdog (including bread roll) as some of the stranger foods, in addition to the usual things.

Pickled eggs trigger a form of PTSD in me. My jaw aches just reading this thread.

GreenDragon

Buy a small jar of pickled beets. Throw out the beets, if you don't want to ever eat them. Store the beet pickle juice in the fridge as a pH insensitive dye. And the pickle flavor is nice. Consider it a culinary investment.

[Actually, a baby, pickled beet on top of a salad, and doused in the glue of your choice, might be something to try.]

Bob

You cannot lure me to the dark side, even with cookies. I grew up in a beet loving family, and have tried them in many forms. They have a flavor compound in them that I am sensitive to, and it makes them smell & taste awful to me. So they are on my NO list, right next to cilantro and tequila. On the other hand, I readily chow down on all other veggies. :)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You cannot lure me to the dark side, even with cookies. I grew up in a beet loving family, and have tried them in many forms. They have a flavor compound in them that I am sensitive to, and it makes them smell & taste awful to me. So they are on my NO list, right next to cilantro and tequila. On the other hand, I readily chow down on all other veggies. :)
+1 on the cilantro. I can’t stand to be in the same room with it, much less eat it, the aftertaste lasts for days and the front taste was awful. My wife loves it unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.