Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

BarG's 2012- second season Grow Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_in_TN

BarG, thanks for the help and advice. The wood tag idea sounds great. It is durable as you point out. Plus doing it in the field is the only surefire way to keep everything in order. Otherwise some of it would get fouled up and mis-lableled. There will be plenty of other leaf to prime and that will keep me more than busy. Not certain, but I expect Huehuetenago is one of those varieties that need primed since it will be primarily used for cigars but also want to try it in a pipe blend. Anything that can be stalk cured will be.

Bob has gotten things down to an art form hasn't he? He is the go-to guy for answers. If he ever printed up a book it should be priced for at least $100 and I would be in line for at least 1 copy of the 1st printing. Thanks Bob for posting a pic of your setup, very helpful. Have read many and studied many of your past posts for info.

BarG

Founding Member
Its okay to allow other people help when you are out of your element. Thats the boat that im in. Bob, Randy<and everyone else out there. Don't be pissed if I act like an ass, Its just my nature:rolleyes: You guys have done forgot more than I'll probably learn.

BarG

Founding Member
Tom I'm going to totaly play it by ear this year. There will be a lot of primed leaf before rather than later. I am going to seriously pay attention to bobs recomendation for handling multiple varietys for priming. Bobs a tough act to follow, no doubt, we have to dive in and do and make or break ourselves.Thats half the fun.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Looking good BarG.

For labels, I cut old or extra window blinds into 5-6" lengths and label them with permanent marker and drill hole to string on my wire with the primed leaf or stalk wire. If I do not label them immediately, I will usually forget.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob...is the go-to guy for answers.
There are members who have many more years of tobacco growing experience than I have, and who have raised crops measured in acres, rather than individually counted plants. I won't try to name them, since I'm bound to forget to mention a valued and deeply appreciated veteran.

FTT is a go-to forum. Everyone's contributions are the bricks that make it a useful resource, rather than a lopsided blog.

Bob

Tom_in_TN

FTT is a go-to forum. Bob

Thanks, Bob for pointing me in the right direction. Without your help and assistance there is no doubt I would be hopelessly lost with all there is to learn. I'm getting years of experience compressed into just a few weeks, and that is worth a lot.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
If you wait for a leaf to slightly thicken, and the very tip of the leaf to begin to yellow, then the leaf is mature. When the whole leaf is going yellow, that's ripe. Mature is ideal for cigar leaf, while ripe is preferred for cigarettes.

Bob

Bob, I forwarded this description to my tobacco friend. He agreed this is one way. He said his way is different and here it is :

I would not wait for the tip to turn yellow. I look for the color to change from dark green to light green. The dark green color leaves the heel of the leaf (opposite the tip) last. If you look at it in natural light, but not direct sunlight, you can see the difference.

I'm not sure I will be able to see the difference but I'll watch. If I can't see it I should be able to see the tip yellowing when it happens. That will be later but I hope before frost.

Regarding the winter we didn't have : There is a freeze warning for tonight , 28 F (That's below 0 for you C guys)

So I'll light a fire and a cigar and just enjoy.

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you look at it in natural light, but not direct sunlight, you can see the difference.
Yes, there is a subtle color change that occurs, and it's easy to overlook or overestimate. If you overestimate the maturity, and prime too soon, then you end up with bland, fragile leaf that may not cure well or burn well. If you overlook the subtle change, then the yellow tip will serve as a reliable reminder.

Unlike the big boys in the CT Valley, all of my tobacco grows in direct sunlight. I think you can spot the change, even in direct sun, but it takes repeated observation. Probably the texture change in the leaf is easier to spot, but the yellow tip is hard to miss, even for a first time grower.

Bob

Daniel

Banned
I do have to say I appreciate the depth of information that Bob manages to dig up. I support his caim that there are plenty of others with deep knowledge of tobacco. I got most of what I do for my tobacco from details of the big growers. harden them off, don't baby them (which I do anyway) they don't like to much water. and stop worrying about them. They are not growing today cause you messed with them yesterday. Leave em alone they are busy. Mainly I learend you don't let the leaves turn yellow and die on the stalk. Grow a few, harvest a few leaves. that is the best teacher. lower leaves are always thin so you can't mess them up. they are crappy smoke though. Mid leaves give you a second chance to mess it all up. You want to start getting it together by the time you harvest the top though.
Plant, Top, Sucker and Harvest. those are the 4 biggies in my mind. you will fill in the details in between as you go.

Learning to see a ripe leaf is like seeing a ripe peach. pull one off the tree and taste it. you will develop an eye in a very short time.

BarG

Founding Member
Here's my basket for priming. It's rigged with all the junk I use: stringing wire, tags, Sharpee, steel skewer for puncturing difficult stems.

Garden_20110723_14_BasketWithTaggingGear_400.jpg

Bob

Last year I strung my primed leaves on 9' wires running between the length of my porch rafters. I can use this method by hanging pre strung short wires labled with type and grow position on stalk between width of rafters by adding a 1" x 1" strip to bottom of rafter with pre-drilled holes every 6-8", so I can just stick the eds of the wires through the holes and bend around to secure.
http://fairtradetobacco.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=426&d=1331535610

BarG

Founding Member
Right on Daniel, I agree with all you said. As with any enterprise for me be it hobby, necessity, or work, learning is half the fun. There is no better place to learn than here at FTT.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
BAR g

i really like your curing/hanging area, on your rafters,,,, ive liked it since i seen it ON THAT '' OTHER'' SITE,,,,

BarG

Founding Member
Ive Got 6 more varietys [maybe a couple more if hes still shipping in a week or 2] coming from BigBonner that should be here soon, They will probably be the first in the ground.

Havana 41[ I believe Dr. Bobs]
perique
Virginia gold
Silk leaf
Maryland 609
Burley[BB's choice]

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i too later down the road, will be adding some different strains to my current grow,,,

that selection you made sounds good for cigars< and ciggs both>

BarG

Founding Member
i too later down the road, will be adding some different strains to my current grow,,,

that selection you made sounds good for cigars< and ciggs both>

I still like my cigs. but I'm getting more and more into rolling cigars, I make mine fairly mild so I can still smoke like a cig. They last longer and are farther and fewer between. Yea, I,m looking forward to these new plants.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^

im thinking of doing that also,,,

a backwoods type cigar,,,,

small but not very potent,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I still like my cigs. but I'm getting more and more into rolling cigars, I make mine fairly mild so I can still smoke like a cig. They last longer and are farther and fewer between. Yea, I,m looking forward to these new plants.

So what do you put in your "fairly mild" small cigars? That has been my goal all along.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'd think just make the cigarillo with half n half burley and bright leaf and wrap with a turk, dunno tho someone should try:)

Status
Not open for further replies.