Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What's would do well in 1 gallon pots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm specifically referring to vegetables and fruit. In 2015, I started my seedlings too early, and went on vacation at planting time, and decided to transfer them to 1 gallon nursery pots. https://www.growerssolution.com/PROD/1-gallon-black-trade-pot/OGTP
OGTP.jpg

And leave them in the greenhouse while I went on vacation.

As a result, I have around 200 of these pots, and I was just kind of brain storming what I could grow in them. My basic assumptions are that due to the low amount of soil, and my own personal schedule, and laziness, that what I would grow ought to have some drought tolerance.

I'm guessing solanaceae would be too big. Maybe not. Dunno.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most salad veggies will work. Cherry tomatoes and Roma tomatoes. Bush cukes. Small peppers. Onions. Oriental eggplant. Radicchio.

Most herbs. The tender perennials can come indoors for the winter. Chives! A dozen different basil varieties.

Mint, dill and cilantro. These are horribly invasive, when planted into a garden bed. Grow them in pots surrounded by pavement.

Bush beans, bush lima beans, bush broad beans. Okra (1 per pot).

Strawberries. Northern blueberries (not highbush). Currants. Gooseberries. Ground cherries.

Mushrooms (in the basement or a closet).

I suspect that the limiting factor is how many of these individual pots you are willing to water on a regular basis. If you have a bare spot in the yard or on a patio, you can place a cheap kiddie wading pool there, and fill it with potted veggies, for simplified watering.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Most salad veggies will work. Cherry tomatoes and Roma tomatoes. Bush cukes. Small peppers. Onions. Oriental eggplant. Radicchio.

Most herbs. The tender perennials can come indoors for the winter. Chives! A dozen different basil varieties.

Mint, dill and cilantro. These are horribly invasive, when planted into a garden bed. Grow them in pots surrounded by pavement.

Bush beans, bush lima beans, bush broad beans. Okra (1 per pot).

Strawberries. Northern blueberries (not highbush). Currants. Gooseberries. Ground cherries.

Mushrooms (in the basement or a closet).

I suspect that the limiting factor is how many of these individual pots you are willing to water on a regular basis. If you have a bare spot in the yard or on a patio, you can place a cheap kiddie wading pool there, and fill it with potted veggies, for simplified watering.

Bob

All great suggestions. Thank you, Bob. Chives, and those onions you use for green onions would be great as they are fairly drought tolerant.
And, there never seems to be enough.

I've got mint growing in a disadvantageous spot, sounded by sidewalk and garage wall. Local old ladies warned me about mint, but that sounded like a problem I would consider a good problem. Bring on the invasion! We got a decent crop of coriander off of a 3 foot row of cilantro. We filled 4 spice jars, which are almost gone, so if that decides to be perennial, I think I'll be happy too. Its planted next to my dill in a raised bed, maybe they can duke it out.

I've got okra seeds. I will do those for the first time.

And, maybe I'll try a bit of everything you suggested on shelves in the greenhouse to get an early harvest.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With okra seed, it will rot before it germinates, unless the soil is warm. I would suggest waiting until two or three weeks after the "last frost" date. (That gives you an earlier harvest than if you plant the seed too early, then have to re-plant it.)

Dill vs Coriander: dill wins. And the scattered dill seed will continue to pop up seedlings 5 or more years after you exterminate the plants. Darwin would be truly proud of it.

Bob

EDIT: I planted peppermint and oregano, separated in the same bed. The mint eventually strangled out the roots of the oregano, despite my best efforts at taming it.

Status
Not open for further replies.