Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Connecticut shade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Maybe this has been asked before. Is Connecticut Broadleaf and Connecticut shade the same variety. Only difference is the one is shade grown and the other sun grown?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Maybe this has been asked before. Is Connecticut Broadleaf and Connecticut shade the same variety. Only difference is the one is shade grown and the other sun grown?

CT Broadleaf and CT Shade are two different types .
C Broadleaf will be waist high and is topped . Leaves get wide and long and will be a dark green in color and does not get a ripe yellow when ready to harvest . It is cut whole stalk laying it down to wilt for a hour or to the speared on a stick .Then it get hung in a shed or Tobacco barn to cure .

CT Shade will grow 10 feet tall and is not topped . Suckers is not a problems even though this type does not get topped before harvesting .
Leaves will be primed as they ripen .
After shade leaves are cured they will be light in weight compared to CT Broadleaf
Broadleaf will be heavy and Shade will be light like tissue paper .
Broadleaf leaf color will be a whole lot darker than Shade .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Very different growth habit and leaf shape. CT Shade is relatively mild and flavorless, regardless of how it's grown. CT Broadleaf, like all broadleaf varieties, is always dark, rich and potent.

Garden_20110819_02_CTBroadleaf_leafMeasure_300.jpg

Garden20120807_443_CtShade_leafSize_300.jpg

Notice that the CT Broadleaf image is the actual model for the leaf in our forum logo.

Bob

Ben Brand

Thanks all. That clears it up nicely.
I like to plant a few wrapper plants as an experiment with my other wrappers, just to see how it goes, thought I would give Conn Shade a go, but seeing as I only do sun-grown wrappers, I think i`ll give it a miss.
Has anyone planted Scantic, Metacomet or Dixie shade as sun grown wrappers, and if so, how did they perform as wrappers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have grown Metacomet and Dixie Shade as sun-grown. The Metacomet was tastier than FL Sumatra, but thicker. The Dixie Shade was pretty much a failure. In the same vein, Moonlight was similar in quality to the Metacomet, and Magnolia was also tasty, but thicker still. I do believe that all of these would be lovely as shade-grown wrappers.

You might ponder the possibility of building a small shade structure for next season. It needs shade cloth (or row cover material) that totals about 40% shade on the top and sides. I've repeatedly considered one, and ultimately rejected the idea, because each of my 5 foot x 12 foot beds is surrounded by lawn, which needs to be regularly mowed.

Bob

Ben Brand

I hear what you say about the shade grown wrappers Bob, an yes It might be my answer to my wrapper problem. Now I,m wondering with out extreme heat and sunshine, do I still use 40% or 60% shade netting. Do you think 60% is to much shade.
Can I grow all my wrappers ( Bezuki, Con B leaf and Hav 2000) under shade?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no expert on shade growing. My understanding is that 40% shade is used in growing CT Shade on the farms in Connecticut. I would consider 40% shade cloth a maximum. I believe you could grow all of your wrappers except CT Broadleaf under shade. With the latter, I just don't know how that would come out. The two seasons that I grew CT Broadleaf, it was sun-grown, as is traditional. And it came out like the CT Broadleaf wrapper we see commercially.

But then, the Cubans are shade-growing Corojo 99 and Criollo 98 for wrappers. So shade-growing the CT Broadleaf might be worth a go.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've used 40% and 60% (might have been as high as 70) and there is a difference. The higher % shade cloth seemed to decrease the oils in the leaf, making it less oily and less stretchy.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Status
Not open for further replies.