Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe Restoration Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

Lately I've been into the pipe restoration hobby. I signed up at the website posted below and get alerts when the guy posts something new.

This particular link is to the latest entry. He does a meer lined pipe repair with egg whites and common chalk. He says that this combination sets up very hard making it suitable for repairing the merr lined bowls. This guy does some amazing work. I look forward to seeing his blog often. Check it out. It is interesting.

https://rebornpipes.com/2018/04/21/an-italian-croc-skin-zulu-and-a-bear-of-a-meer-lining-repair/

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! That was quite a project. I'm puzzled that the albumin (egg white), which is protein, doesn't completely burn up. The pipe does look excellent at the end.

I've repaired tooth holes in bits using plastic epoxy. It functionally makes the repair, but does not match the color. So they come out looking like ancient artifacts, in which modern repairs are intentionally done in an off color. And the adhesion eventually fails.

Bob

greenmonster714

Wow! That was quite a project. I'm puzzled that the albumin (egg white), which is protein, doesn't completely burn up. The pipe does look excellent at the end.

I've repaired tooth holes in bits using plastic epoxy. It functionally makes the repair, but does not match the color. So they come out looking like ancient artifacts, in which modern repairs are intentionally done in an off color. And the adhesion eventually fails.

Bob

I've been using crazy glue to fill in tooth holes. Since it's clear and sets up clear it works rather well. I used it to repair what looks like something hot melted the stem. It will take a little more sanding to polish it up but the glue does a nice job matching whatever color.
IMG_20180325_153312546_640x480.jpgIMG_20180325_142023235_480x640.jpgIMG_20180317_235406537_480x640.jpg

greenmonster714

Got a big lot of pipes and this nice Italian had a stem broke off in it. Took a while to find a stem that came close to matching it. I found one slightly larger and worked it down to size. Stripped the whole pipe down to bare wood and used Murphy's oil soap on it which seems to have left a nice suttle stain. I'll shine it up later. I'm pleased with how it came out.
IMG_21052018_155740.jpg
IMG_21052018_155724.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Very lovely and tricky.

I have a 45 year old Savinelli that's a Canadian style, with a long shank that seems to have the same cross-section. It's bit is a short little thing (~1" long) with a slight downward curve. I believe it was about 20 years ago that I bit through it, and I've just lived with it.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.