Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Little help selecting for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny79

Hello everyone,

Want to jump into growing my own tobacco, but been a little overwhelmed by all the different types of tobaccos to choose from. Not knowing where to start, hoping you guys can give me a hand.

I would like to try and grow a simple, full flavor cigar to start with. Something similar in taste to that of Banditos cheeroots. Maybe something a tad stronger in flavor.

I been looking into Northwoodseeds.com - Caribbean and American muti packs. However, I dont know what the differences are or if those seeds will produce what I'm looking for.

If anyone has any suggestions on a simple, forgiving type of plants that will produce a nice full flavor cigar I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
Danny

Danny79

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the links. I just read through the sticky link and comprehended about half of it lol. Sorry I'm Very new to this and dont know what your trying to show me.

Really, I'm just looking for a few strains suggestions to get me started. Basically, looking for a simple full flavor cigar end result. I honestly would be okay with just a filler and a wrapper suggestion to get me started. ...Or a already organized multi pack - starter kit if you will. Thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Danny,
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. Be sure to read the Beginning Growers' FAQ (link at the top of each page). You may also want to bookmark the Index of Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

Now, to the nitty gritty. It's awfully late to start from seed for this year. It will take a week to obtain the seed. Then it needs typically 6 to 8 weeks indoors, before it is ready to transplant to the field.

My suggestion would be to send a PM to our lifelong professional tobacco growing member from Kentucky, BigBonner, and ask if he will have transplantable starts that you can order in the next few weeks. Ask specifically about cigar varieties, which he usually starts. The transplants ship very well (I've used them in the past), are reasonably priced, and can immediately go into the ground as soon as you receive them (provided it's at least your "last frost" date).

For your first year, the exact variety won't matter much, but BigBonner can offer suggestions based on your desires. And you can use most filler varieties as wrapper and binder as well (so long as you have some intact leaves). Use your first grow as a chance to get the growing and curing techniques down. Then you can fiddle with seeds and germination and seedling flats next year.

Tobacco leaf progresses from milder to stronger as you work your way up the stalk. Even "mild" varieties can give you ferocious leaf at the tip of the stalk. Much of a cigars strength is determined by blending.

Enjoy.

Bob

Danny79

Danny,
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. Be sure to read the Beginning Growers' FAQ (link at the top of each page). You may also want to bookmark the Index of Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

Now, to the nitty gritty. It's awfully late to start from seed for this year. It will take a week to obtain the seed. Then it needs typically 6 to 8 weeks indoors, before it is ready to transplant to the field.

My suggestion would be to send a PM to our lifelong professional tobacco growing member from Kentucky, BigBonner, and ask if he will have transplantable starts that you can order in the next few weeks. Ask specifically about cigar varieties, which he usually starts. The transplants ship very well (I've used them in the past), are reasonably priced, and can immediately go into the ground as soon as you receive them (provided it's at least your "last frost" date).

For your first year, the exact variety won't matter much, but BigBonner can offer suggestions based on your desires. And you can use most filler varieties as wrapper and binder as well (so long as you have some intact leaves). Use your first grow as a chance to get the growing and curing techniques down. Then you can fiddle with seeds and germination and seedling flats next year.

Tobacco leaf progresses from milder to stronger as you work your way up the stalk. Even "mild" varieties can give you ferocious leaf at the tip of the stalk. Much of a cigars strength is determined by blending.

Enjoy.

Bob

Appreciate the info and link Bob! That's a bummer that it's a little late. I may just stick around and see what I can learn and give it a try next year then.

Thank you,
Danny

MarcL

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the links. I just read through the sticky link and comprehended about half of it lol. Sorry I'm Very new to this and dont know what your trying to show me.

Really, I'm just looking for a few strains suggestions to get me started. Basically, looking for a simple full flavor cigar end result. I honestly would be okay with just a filler and a wrapper suggestion to get me started. ...Or a already organized multi pack - starter kit if you will. Thanks!

Really, when I saw your thread starter sitting there after reading it, I thought it to be very green. I'm actually not the guy but, I thought I could get you started reading somewhere. I saw some ambition in your OP (original post). It reminded me when I saw Seed To Soul and how I felt. I ended up buying leaf and rolling instead growing to roll. you are in the right place. I look forward to seeing you around.

Get over to the Introduce Yourself forum. .. or not

http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/5-Introduce-yourself

skychaser

It's getting to the end of the window for starting seeds but there probably is still enough time. I'll be seeding a couple more flats tomorrow. They won't be ready for the field until the first week of June, but that sill gives me about 100 days until first frost. Not many people have a shorter growing season than I do.

If you order some seeds today I'll bet you have them by Thursday. :)

burge

Hello everyone,

Want to jump into growing my own tobacco, but been a little overwhelmed by all the different types of tobaccos to choose from. Not knowing where to start, hoping you guys can give me a hand.

I would like to try and grow a simple, full flavor cigar to start with. Something similar in taste to that of Banditos cheeroots. Maybe something a tad stronger in flavor.

I been looking into Northwoodseeds.com - Caribbean and American muti packs. However, I dont know what the differences are or if those seeds will produce what I'm looking for.

If anyone has any suggestions on a simple, forgiving type of plants that will produce a nice full flavor cigar I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
Danny

Honestly buy from WLT and Big Bonner a properly aged cigar takes about 6 years to develop. Especially when Don has a sale its that much better. Seriously if I had the place to grow I might want to try a few plants but they may not turn out. In essence your paying for fully aged leaf. That in itself is worth it considering how cheap it is at 12 dollars a pound. I smoke Virginia and trust me Dons and Big Bonners is exceptional.

greenmonster714

Welcome to the forum Danny. I second what burgers says above. Getting your hands on some quality leaf will let you see what you have to look forward to. Once you open a bag of VA and stick your nose down in it you'll be hooked.
Take this year off and read everything you can read in these threads. It will help you in planning for next year. There are some things you can do prior to next year besides reading. Use this time to build up the soil in the area you plan on using. Gather tools needed, fertilizers, pesticides, starter soil, 1020trays, labels, and the list goes on. Now is a good time to decide whether you'd like to put together a flue/kiln for curing some leaf and aging others. Most of all read and ask questions. Next year will come by pretty fast and having a good plan is always helpful.

Charly

Welcome Danny,
As said, you can begin by using some leaf from WLT or Big Bonner, to learn how to roll some good cigars with already well aged leaf.

If your growing season is long enough, you can try to start some seeds too, to learn how to grow tobacco :)
Of course, it's already a little bit late to begin seeds now, but you can have some plants growing nonetheless. They might not become as ripe as they should, but I am sure you can harvest some nice leaves from the bottom or the middle of the plants.
And these leaves can make some really nice cigars too.

If you want to start seeds for cigars, just take any of these and you should get something nice (these are strains recommanded by some members, I still have to grow some of them) :
- Little Dutch, Pennsylvania Red (for american style cigar)
- Criollo 98, Vuelta Abajo, Dominican Olor... (for caribbean style cigar)

Any plant might give you some usable wrapper or binder.

It's up to you ;)
And good luck ;)

Ben Brand

Definitely agree with Charly.
Little Dutch, Pennsylvania Red (for american style cigar)
- Criollo 98, Vuelta Abajo, Dominican Olor... (for caribbean style cigar)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When it comes to black pepper, some people are shakers and some people are grinders.

If you have the fire in your belly to grow your own tobacco, you will succeed at it. If you just want low cost tobacco, you can indeed buy the best available on the planet.

Bob

Danny79

Thanks everyone for the help.

I'm going to sit this season out and read these forums a bit more to get a better understanding of what's involved. In the meantime, I may take the advice mentioned earlier about buying whole leafs and giving that a try.

I'm primarily a pipe smoker. However, I do enjoy a cigar every now and then when I can afford it. I like the idea of growing my own tobacco and have been flirting with the idea for a while now.

This year I'm going to get a bit more serious about learning and attempting to grow some plants. I have a couple great spots on my property I'm going to work on clearing out. Also have a barn I want to clean and setup for air curing. Basically, be better prepared than I am now and trying to rush it

Again, appreciate all the help. You guys are great!
Danny

Danny79

Can I get your guy's advice on something again?

I went ahead a ordered some seeds last week. Planned to just save them and use them next season. However, now that I have the seeds. Think I should try planting some this year? Our first frost last year was about mid October if I remember right. Already have a barn setup for air curing. Been bouncing the idea in my head last couple days. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Danny

Alpine

Depending on the strains you selected, you can try to wet your feet if you want. Just a few plants just to see how it goes: sowing, transplanting, pruning and, hopefully, harvesting and curing. I transplant in full ground around the end of May and harvest well before mid September, you have a full month after that!

pier

DistillingJim

I agree with Pier, you've not got much to lose and should make next year easier. Just dont be too disappointed if your harvest is less than ideal.

If you're a pipe smoker, I'd recommend getting the sample pack and some Latakia from WLT as an easy way to get stuck in.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If your transplants go into the ground on 1 July, then you will have the 60 to 90 days needed to produce leaf (though perhaps not mature any seed). August is ideal for ripening the leaf. September is less certain.

The problem you may confront is that a late harvest, say late September or even early October, puts your leaf into the curing barn during October, which may or may not be a suitable temperature and humidity for adequate curing. My own experience is that the growing part is much more flexible than the curing part. If I try to initiate curing in October, the temps are often too cool and too damp, leading to various problems.

Each of us who has grown tobacco for multiple years will acknowledge that what we learned during our first year of growing was immensely valuable in the success of subsequent grows. Your persistence and enthusiasm suggest that you should go ahead and take the plunge this season. The only risk for you in going ahead this season is your time and labor. If you plan to store your seed for next season, be sure to keep it cool and dry.

Good luck.

Bob

Danny79

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback.

I ordered a cigar seed pack from Amazon. It contains Cuban Criollo 98, Havana 608, Connecticut Broadleaf. Come with some easy to follow instructions to help me get started.

Primarily, I am a pipe smoker. I do however enjoy a nice cigar when I can afford them. So I figured.. attempting to grow cigar tobacco would be fun.

I think I will try starting some today. Perhaps will learn a lot in the process.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I'll keep you guys posted on my first attempt here in KS!

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.