Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Temperature and humidity controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempbond

Thought this would interest a lot of people...

I bought these on eBay. Haven't received the humidity controller yet.

Temperature controller: about 16$ with shipping
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=%09+Digital+Temperature+Controller+Thermostat+Aquarium+%C2%B0F&_sacat=See-All-Categories

temp control.jpg

Specs:
Measure range: -58°F - 194°F
Control range: -58°F - 194°F
Measuring difference: ±1°F
Resolution: 1°F
Accuracy: ± 1°F (-50°F - 70°F )
Sensor type: NTC (10K/3435)
Power supply: 110-120V AC
Power consumption: less than 3W
Relay contact current: Rated 5A
Data retention: Yes
Working temperature: 32°F - 122°F
Storage temperature: -14°F - 140°F
Size: 85 x 75 x 35 mm

Humidity controller : about 43 $ shipping included

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180723661782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

humidity-controller-dhc-100-01.jpg

Specifications

•Humidity Measuring Range: 0 ~ 99 % R.H.
•Humidity Controlling Range: 10 ~ 99 % R.H.
•Resolution: 1% R.H.
•Accuracy:
◦± (5% R.H. + 0.5 digits) at 25 °C
◦± (6% R.H. + 0.5 digits) at 0 ~ 59 % R.H.
◦± (8% R.H. + 0.5 digits) at others, when 10 ~ 40 °C
•Sensor Length: 2m (6.56 feet)
•Sensor error delay: 1 minute
•Temperature stability: ±0.5 % R.H. per year
•Power Consumption: ≤ 3W
•Ambient Temperature: 0 ~ 60 °C
•Storage Temperature: -30 ~ 75 °C
•Relative Humidity: 20 ~ 85% R.H. (no condensation)
•Output contact capacity: 10A/220VAC (single phase load is 0.5HP / 220VAC)
•Power supply: 220~ 240V AC or 100 ~ 120 V AC, 50 / 60 Hz
•Item Dimensions: 75 (L) x 34.5 (W) x 85 (D) mm (2.95 x 1.36 x 3.35 inch)
•Item Weight: 211 g (7.44 oz) (sensor included)

I plan to use these with a side-by-side fridge/freezer of which I will remove most of the middle section to make one big curing chamber. I'll post pics when it's done.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
looks like a good reasonable priced device for what it is,,,

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Wow, those have come down. I looked into temp controllers for beer making a while back, think the cheapest I found was like $50.

looks like a good reasonable priced device for what it is,,,

Temperature and humidity controllers. Basically its like a thermostat. You set what temperature (or humidity) you want something (like a heater or humidifier) to turn on and "set it and forget it!"

tempbond

Temperature and humidity controllers. Basically its like a thermostat. You set what temperature (or humidity) you want something (like a heater or humidifier) to turn on and "set it and forget it!"

That's the idea... I hope it's gonna be as fool proof as I think it's gonna be. And don't worry, I WILL be checking my baccy everyday even if I put these two controllers in. I won't let all that work go to waste by being lazy at the very end of the process !

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i actually liked the way my heat lamp,/ combo of my crock-pot worked for me last year...

i'd let them go into case, and shut off the crock-pot, and let the lamp do it's job,

tempbond

Or get some good duct line to hook up to it

I never thought of putting the humidifier outside the fridge : that's a great idea ! I'll use some insulated duct line and I should be in business. It will have the added benefit of not corroding the inner workings of the humidifier. Good tip CoralReefs !

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The well water here is VERY hard. Ultrasonic humidifiers but that calcium carbonate in the air as dust and on your tobacco. I don't know if that is a concern for you but my solution is to use rain water in the ultrasonic units. DI water is another but expensive solution (no pun intended). For me rain water is good enough. In the crock pot I just clean it out now and then with white vinegar.

John

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
The well water here is VERY hard. Ultrasonic humidifiers but that calcium carbonate in the air as dust and on your tobacco. I don't know if that is a concern for you but my solution is to use rain water in the ultrasonic units. DI water is another but expensive solution (no pun intended). For me rain water is good enough. In the crock pot I just clean it out now and then with white vinegar.

John

I wonder if something like a britta filter would help.

tempbond

John

Ooops ! I also have well water that's pretty hard. Never thought about minerals depositing on my tobacco... I'll have to think about how I'm going to go around this. At about 3$ a gallon for distilled water, it's gonna get expensive !

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive seen many humidifiers for sale at the flea-market,,,

and have thought of getting one for the kiln,,

but i like the way the crock-pot delivers humidity,,,

im gonna calculate the timer on the crock-pot,,,, to where it may be on, for 4 hours,,,,,and off for, 1 hour,,,

dont under-estimate the good workings of a crock-pot for creating humidity,,,

ive never used a humidifier,,, ????

but who knows, watching your progress with it, MAY CHANGE MY MIND<<<

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you evaporate water that contains minerals, the minerals remain in the container, while the water is "distilled" water vapor.

Bob

tempbond

If you evaporate water that contains minerals, the minerals remain in the container, while the water is "distilled" water vapor.

Bob

That's true, but the humidifier I have is a cold air one. It's just a fan that passes air through a kind of filter/wick that sits in water. I don't know if the minerals would stay in the filter...

Using a crock pot for heat AND humidity is cheaper and easier, but I want to have them separated to control the fermentation better.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
That's true, but the humidifier I have is a cold air one. It's just a fan that passes air through a kind of filter/wick that sits in water. I don't know if the minerals would stay in the filter...

Using a crock pot for heat AND humidity is cheaper and easier, but I want to have them separated to control the fermentation better.

OK I have both kinds. I have a dry skin problem and have tried a number of things over the years. With the wick type the hard water minerals will accumulate rather quickly on the wick and foul it. On mine the wicks were paper and could not be cleaned. They had to be replaced. As I said above the ultrasonic units put the carbonate into the air as dust. When I used one in my bedroom as a trial the dust was noticeable after two nights. I figured I didn't want to breathe it so I went to an evaporative unit. For me in both cases rain water was a satisfactory answer when I had enough of it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.