Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to remove pipe filter stuck in pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

abador

Hey everyone. I decided it was about time to remove the filter in my pipe so I could clean it but after removing the stem realized that the filter had been pushed in far enough that it had gone flush with the pipe and I could not get a grip on the filter to remove it. I tried adding air pressure with my mouth from the bowl but I could not blow it out. I have left the stem off for several hours with the hope that it will dry out and become easier to get out but I have not had any luck with this endever. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or tips?

abador

I am not able to find any specifications on it but it looks like the brand name is Sanda They have charcoal inside them and ceramic caps. The filters say they are obsorbant but it is my understanding that pretty much all pipe filters are absorbent.

greenmonster714

I used to use filters but I smoked a bowl one day without it and enjoyed it more. I've been restoring pipes lately and have found a method of removing a stem that has been broken off in a shank. It may work with your filter issue. Simply find a wood screw that will screw into the hole the filter is stuck in. Not and oversized screw but one big enough to get up in there and get a grip. Only go finger tight on it. Once it's in there give a steady pull with either your fingers or pliers. It should pop right out.

alPol05

From your description, it looks like this is a 9mm filter. They are made from paper tube, two caps, and charcoal inside. Start with a few drops of alcohol into the filter's end that you can see. Use a thin pick to pull the filter. It will most likely start breaking apart and it's fine. Just work with a pick to pull small parts one by one. At some point, it will break loose and your job is done. Clean the smoke channel in the shank with a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol. Change cleaners often and clean until it will come out all clean after penetrating smoke channel. That's it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
abador, do post how you solved the stuck filter. If you can't get it out, consider posting a sharp photo of the situation.

One soak method is to partially fill the bowl with alcohol (or Seagram's VO Canadian whiskey, substitutes allowed), then carefully tip the shank downward. Let it rest in that position, so that the alcohol oozes out the shank. No violence, punctures or piece picking.

Bob

alPol05

I would suggest starting with Bob's approach. I didn't think about it. The least drastic approach is always better to use first and take the next if that fails.

abador

I got most of the filter out but the end cap is now lodged deep inside. I could probably take a picture of a new filter if it would kelp to clarify what I am working with but it really wouldn't help to take a picture of what is happening with the pipe at this point because everything is deep inside.

alPol05

Abador, I know what this filter looks like, and I am sure Bob knows it too.
I made a tiny hook on the dental pick for situations like you have now. It works well. I am sure you can come up with a way to pull that last cap from the shank.

I wonder how often you change a filter in your pipe? These filters are only good for 2-3 bowls. The tar that filter stops accumulates on the cap that is first in the shank at the end of the mortise - keep that in mind.

greenmonster714

I think alPol is on to something. I'd give it a try. Then I'd think twice before sticking a filter back in that Pipe. Unless you do as mentioned and change it more often. I find a pipe is better without a filter but that's a personal preference. Good luck with that sticky filter.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
We never got a photo, so I have no idea if this suggestion is even possible. Find a relatively stiff, but malleable wire or tubing (perhaps even an insulated, solid copper wire) that will fit the smoke hole, and feed it into the shank from the tobacco chamber.

Bob

abador

The filter that was in the pipe was fairly new. I think I had smoked one bowl out of it. I have not cleaned the pipe it self in quite a while though. I think the biggest problem I had was that the filter got pushed down flush with the part of the bowl that the stem attaches to. I can imagine the tar on the walls probably had an influence in not being able to get the filter out?

alPol05

Majority of pipes that I use are with 9mm filters. I identified three areas that can create a problem in these pipes. They are construction, filters, and maintenance. The construction issues are most important in my view but it is wast area and I might discuss it some other time. Filters and maintenance are easier to address.

Filters - the issue here is that only branded filters are designed properly and the appropriate material is used. I prefer filters made by Vauen, the designer of this system. The worst filters are made by China and they are sold on eBay.They are all branded as Vauen but they are not made by this company. They are fake. The original Vauen filters are made with a front cap cut in ceramic. This is very important! Ceramic with withstand the temperature in the shank and function properly. The fake filters made in Chine have a cap made of plastic and it will melt during pipe smoking. Use only Vauen filters.

Maintenance of the pipe - I found that daily cleaning of the pipe that uses 9mm filters is crucial. The filter stops travel of tar into the stem. Hence, tar accumulates in the first section of the mortise. If that accumulation is not cleaned often, tar will dry and clog the mortise and the filter. With time filter will be stuck in the mortise and this is what probably happened to you.

Here is the image of pipe parts for easy identification.

pipeParts-01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.