Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Any Nasal Snuff Members Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

I've not tried it yet but I am interested. I've only heard it mentioned here once by a new guy who isn't active anymore. Anyone got some decent info on this stuff or maybe experiences to share? Ive found a decent vendor in the UK but need to read a bit more before I order any to try. Thanks

CobGuy

I use snuff daily and have been making my own for awhile now ... unofficial branding name of "Southwest Snuff".As my batches finish, *******.My last batch of Root Beer Snuff went quicker than a toupee in a hurricane! LOLLet me know what questions you come up with ... happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

CobGuy

I'm always happy to answer any questions I can concerning the process ... pay forward the knowledge, so to speak. My basic method is to grind the whole leaf using a food processor, add the sauce / reduction, jar for several weeks, dry, re-grind and then sieve.When I first started, I gave away dozens of samples to get feedback / criticisms and it helped a lot.Soooo .... ask away! :)

greenmonster714

Okay this is good. Thanks for piping in here cob. Yes, I am interested in your method.

What kind of leaf do you use? How do you prepare it? Tools needed and supplies needed? Can this be completed in a day or more time? What flavoring do you use and where do you get it? How do you store it?

These are pretty basic questions but it's a start. I'd really like to do a picture tutorial of the process and post it for others to try. I've always known what snuff was but have never tried it. From your brief description of what you did I may have everything I need already. If not I will..lol.

CobGuy

What kind of leaf do you use?

I use Whole Leaf from WLT.com ... Burley and Cigar varieties mostly but have made a few using Flue Cured too.

How do you prepare it?
Tools needed and supplies needed?
Food processor, coffee grinder, mortar and pestle, various sizes of sieves (EZ-Strainer fits 5 gallon buckets)

Can this be completed in a day or more time?

Initial grinding and sauce making in a day ... several weeks to months sitting / fermenting time.

What flavoring do you use and where do you get it? How do you store it?

I either make my own sauces / reductions or buy food grade extracts ... if I can't eat it I don't use it.

Here's an example: 2 cups Double Fermented Soy sauce, 2 heaping TBSP's of Dark Molasses, 1 Tsp Black Walnut Extract, Fennel seeds, Dark Roasted Coffee.

Heat the mixture to a simmer and continue slowly until it thickens slightly.
Pour the sauce through the finely ground coffee and strain.
Apply this to your shredded leaf enough to completely wet it but not dripping wet.
Place the mix into a press (I use a 6 ton shop press) for 3-5 days.
Remove from the press, dry enough for first milling and then jar for at least 3 weeks.
Grind and sieve to desired micron (400 for a coarse and moist blend, 200 for fine and dry)
Either toast or re-hydrate and back into jars.

greenmonster714

Thank you sir. That appears to be more involved than I first thought..lol. Your recipe for reduction is quite a eclectic blend of flavors.

What flavor do you end up with in the end?

Are there more simple recipes for flavoring? Maybe Loranns flavors or oils? I use them in loose snus.

Is a 6ton jack needed? I have a manual press but not sure if I could reach that level of pressure.

Is the press stage mainly for melding the recipe?

You mention ez stainer. What micron is initially used to sift? All together how many different micron sizes would I need?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we contunie. I really appreciate you helping out here. It may take a little while to gather a few things but I will definitely give this a try. Once I get a few batches complete I'll make up a pictorial for the forum on this. I'll need your okay to use your ideas and I'd certainly credit you for this information.

CobGuy

What flavor do you end up with in the end?

I called it "Savory" ... kind of an Umami that fades to chocolaty

Are there more simple recipes for flavoring? Maybe Loranns flavors or oils?

Certainly! As simple or complex as you want to make it. Grind up some Burley into flour and add Vanilla extract ... done! :)

Is a 6 ton jack needed? I have a manual press but not sure if I could reach that level of pressure.

Not necessary ... just enough pressure to help meld everything together.

You mention ez stainer. What micron is initially used to sift? All together how many different micron sizes would I need?

I bought the 600, 400 and 200 micron sizes and find them to work well. The 400 is my minimum "finished" size.
Here's a link to the product:

http://www.usplastic.com/search/default.aspx?keyword=ez strainer

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we continue. I really appreciate you helping out here.

My pleasure! The info is out there but very scattered and I'm more than happy to do my part in keeping the art alive and kicking. :)

greenmonster714

Alive and kicking..lol. I like that. I imagine one morning having coffee with a nice bowl and a snort up the old Honker. What a blast to start the day..lol. Thanks for the info. I'll gather those things and probably have more questions for ya.

CobGuy

LOL ... I call it the 'ol Honker as well! It is a nice addition to the morning pipe and coffee combo but even better once I get to work and can't smoke.Have fun cooking and keep me posted! :)

tullius

Yup. When in Northern Ireland ran clean out of Copenhagen. No such thing available there then. Asked the local tobacconist for wintergreen snuff, he obliged. Dumped out half the tiny tin into a saucer, added half dram of Bushmills, stuffed in lip.

No joy: stuff was ground finer than the finest flour, bitter in the mouth, and migrated around like an energetic illegal alien on bolivian marching powder.

Got shown how to take it, and snorted the rest of the little tin off web of hand in short order.

Delightful when taken properly.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
anatomicalSnuffbox.jpg

[Ignore all the labels I deleted from the image.]

Bob

CobGuy

New flavored oils arrived in the mail:

1. Wintergreen (smells like original Life Savers)
2. Apple (not what I expected but a nice fruity scent)
3. Bubblegum (spot on for Bazooka!)
4. Coffee (more like a Kahlua scent)
5. Orange-Vanilla (memories of childhood Creamsicles!)

Bubblegum with a drop of Wintergreen = Pepto Bismol
:)

These will be fun to play with and make some faster, easier snuffs that don't require as much fermentation time.

Krausen89

Pretty new to snuff. Wanted to try it when I was younger but it was hard to find. Got some leaves from LO and played around with them making pipe blends and making snuff from the blends. I have an orange vanilla snuff I made with a freehand pipe blend va, burley and a bit of Latakia flavored with vanilla and orange and put a coffee bean in the little jar. it’s very nice. I tired some American snuff from swisher and it’s so damn dry and fine they are good though especially the superior. Might try to add a bit of moisture to make it easier to take. Just ground more va, burley and Latakia stems will be using this as a base for some different blends.

Last edited by a moderator:

burge

I have never made it but do you use all stems? How do you package it? I know its supposed to be in a tea bag type package and put it in the mouth and the nicotine gets absorbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.