Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Getting ready to start a home cigar factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Greetings all,
I am happy to announce that I am just about ready to try my hand at rolling my own cigars. Johnlee was kind enough to send one of his extra molds to me and I just placed my first order with wholeleaftobacco.com. Definitely looking forward to that.

I have several very valuable suggestions already which I have take note of (have not checked out this famous video of Chicken's yet....). I am particularly interested, based on comments, in comparing cigars rolled with and without the used of a cigar mold. Interesting idea.

Couple of questions:
1) those who use cigar caps- any idea for a cheap cap cutter? I was thinking I might check the artsy craftsy store for tiny round circular cutters or something. But thought I would ask you guys first if you had a better idea. Dont know of too many cookie cutter that small- fondant cutters yes.
2) For cigar glue- its just pectin right? As in I can go down to the grocery store and pick up some fruit pectin for making jelly and mix it with some water? If so, why are people charging a bunch of money for it online?
3) How do you determine (approximately) how much filler to use? I imagine this just takes experience but if you have words of wisdom, I am all ears. My suspicion is you want it pretty uniform (nothing more annoying than a cigar that does not burn or draw evenly- except for rude neighbors who let their friends park in your spot).

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my video from what ive been told was very informative,,,,, but on YOU-TUBE thier is better video's.

my question is this,?

who do you plan on selling these cigars to?

i used fruit pectin,,,,,and my cigars turned out great.. i still got some i made way back then,,,and they are still glued toghter,

good luck to you,,,, im sure having a mold makes the world of difference in the apperance of the final product,

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
my video from what ive been told was very informative,,,,, but on YOU-TUBE thier is better video's.

my question is this,?

who do you plan on selling these cigars to?

i used fruit pectin,,,,,and my cigars turned out great.. i still got some i made way back then,,,and they are still glued toghter,

good luck to you,,,, im sure having a mold makes the world of difference in the apperance of the final product,

I dont plan on selling them. I was kidding about the "home factory" thing. These are all gonna be mine! (I'll share with friends of course)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
1) ..cheap cap cutter?...
2) For cigar glue- its just pectin right?
3) How do you determine (approximately) how much filler to use?
  1. A cap is nice for appearance and photographs, but useless for a home-smoked homemade cigar, since it just gets cut off. You can go to the home improvement store and buy a copper pipe adapter (like 5/8" to 3/4") and just grind the edges (outside edge on a grinding wheel, or inside edges with a rattail file) for two sizes of cap cutters.
  2. Just grocery store pectin. Mix up a small amount so that it is a thick gel. Store the leftover in the fridge. Or you can spend a bunch online. You can also use any food-grade edible gum, such as gum Arabic, gum tragacanth, gum guar.
  3. Experience. As a rough guide, two large half-leaf strips will make the filler for a small corona. Four whole, stemmed leaves will make a cannon.
I suggest making only one cigar at a time, then smoking it. You will learn much faster that way.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
1) those who use cigar caps- any idea for a cheap cap cutter? I was thinking I might check the artsy craftsy store for tiny round circular cutters or something. But thought I would ask you guys first if you had a better idea. Dont know of too many cookie cutter that small- fondant cutters yes.
2) For cigar glue- its just pectin right? As in I can go down to the grocery store and pick up some fruit pectin for making jelly and mix it with some water? If so, why are people charging a bunch of money for it online?
3) How do you determine (approximately) how much filler to use? I imagine this just takes experience but if you have words of wisdom, I am all ears. My suspicion is you want it pretty uniform (nothing more annoying than a cigar that does not burn or draw evenly- except for rude neighbors who let their friends park in your spot).

I agree with Bob and --

1. I have used an old cork bore and also just cut the cap with my chevetta The ones cut with chevetta are round on one end and more pointed on the other. I prefer them to the round ones but mostly don't use them at all. Just twist the end and cut it off when I smoke it.

2. Folks agree pectin works well. I use plain Knox Gelatin. Like Bob I make a thin gel. Stored in the fridge it gets quite solid and needs 10 secs. in the nuke before I use it again. I've never had it spoil.

3. Generally I agree with Bob but some of my leaves are holey and I add strips of other leaves to blend flavors. Bob's statement about getting the "feel" for yourself is good advice. As for the neighbors friends -- I have found
C-4 works well and repeated applications are seldom required. ;<)) {BarG note: I stole a page from your book. LOL)

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i shared most of my '' made'' cigars also,,,,

a internet friend had a baby,,, and i sent him some of my cigars,,, he loved them,,and asked for more,
I DIDNT HAVE ANY MORE<<<

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The statement about making em then smoking em is right. You are teaching your fingers and hands what to feel for. My first ones were always tight and had no draw, but now they are always good. also be sure its not too wet.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
i shared most of my '' made'' cigars also,,,,

a internet friend had a baby,,, and i sent him some of my cigars,,, he loved them,,and asked for more,
I DIDNT HAVE ANY MORE<<<

HA HA!! I just watched your video!!

"Ra, right there! Who wants a damned chicken cigar!"

That is destined to be a modern classic! Very well done chicken!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well i made it to be put on a '' lets say controversial'' website,

thats why i didnt use the guy's real name during filming it,

but the cigars turned out great<

BarG

Founding Member
I agree with Bob and --

1. I have used an old cork bore and also just cut the cap with my chevetta The ones cut with chevetta are round on one end and more pointed on the other. I prefer them to the round ones but mostly don't use them at all. Just twist the end and cut it off when I smoke it.

2. Folks agree pectin works well. I use plain Knox Gelatin. Like Bob I make a thin gel. Stored in the fridge it gets quite solid and needs 10 secs. in the nuke before I use it again. I've never had it spoil.

3. Generally I agree with Bob but some of my leaves are holey and I add strips of other leaves to blend flavors. Bob's statement about getting the "feel" for yourself is good advice. As for the neighbors friends -- I have found
C-4 works well and repeated applications are seldom required. ;<)) {BarG note: I stole a page from your book. LOL)

John

Sometimes I wish I followed my own advice....
;) Heres chickens cigar rolling video link, It was a realy good video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP_0wFVYFXU

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
when you make a couple cigars ,,,and with pratice get real good at making them

I EXPECT TO SEE A PICTURE OF THEM<

MaManus

No matter what DO NOT do the pigtail thing. It just ends up looking bad. I do the capping of my cigars with a copper pipe adapter. TIP: if you get the addapter to match the ring guage of your cigar you can cap more than once, producing a more even look. When ever I make my cigars I try not to think of smoking them while rolling them. Thinking of that will only make a shabby cigar. If you use a mold, only mold 1 at a time. Molds often promote beginners to make 10 bad cigars at a time.

Consider the rolling of your cigar as a art form. Do a good job, take care, and you will certainly have something to be proud of. Have fun rolling and remember to experiment :cool:

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Alright,
Just rolled my first two cigars. Well ok, partially rolled my first two. They are both in the mold right now(Thank you John). I might roll another one tonight without the mold to compare.
I used some of the TN90 filler leaf (from WLT) and some of the fire cured leaf (also from WLT) as a binder leaf. Thought that might give it a little kick. Everything smells sooooo good! The fire cured reminds me of smoked almonds and the TN90 has a real nice sweet smell to it. I'll let it sit in the mold for a few hours and then wrapper er' up.

How long do you guys usually wait before smoking? My resources say to wait about 2-4 weeks min before smoking. For a few of them, I guarantee that ain't gonna happen. My humidor is basically empty right now- I need some stogies! That and I need to learn how to roll so that draw is good and burn is even. Hard to learn that if I wait forever.

BarG

Founding Member
Fire it up as soon as its rolled ,while its fresh.HA HA no time like the present , why wait. don't you hear that little guy on your shoulder, saying smoke me.I haven't figured out yet why people save cigars. My neighbor this evenining told me he had a humidor for 300 cigars, I laughed and he and his wife said they like cigars. Then he told me he smoked a $125.00 cigar and said it tasted like s--t. I told him I would roll him a good one.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Alright,

How long do you guys usually wait before smoking? My resources say to wait about 2-4 weeks min before smoking. For a few of them, I guarantee that ain't gonna happen. My humidor is basically empty right now- I need some stogies! That and I need to learn how to roll so that draw is good and burn is even. Hard to learn that if I wait forever.

If a cigar is a little too moist you can nuke it for about ten seconds. That will dry it and then light'er up!

With the mold -- I press them and immediately release and rotate a few degrees and press again to get rid of the ridge that is made on first press. Then I wrapper them. Seems to work OK I am still playing with the right case for the filler so they are not too tight.

John

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Fire it up as soon as its rolled ,while its fresh.HA HA no time like the present , why wait. don't you hear that little guy on your shoulder, saying smoke me.I haven't figured out yet why people save cigars. My neighbor this evenining told me he had a humidor for 300 cigars, I laughed and he and his wife said they like cigars. Then he told me he smoked a $125.00 cigar and said it tasted like s--t. I told him I would roll him a good one.

Looks like I took your advice before reading it. Wow, I was a little surprised at how good it was. It was a little too wet for my pallate, but not bad for a first time. Draw was perfect, flavor was great minus the too wet grassy taste. That fire cured binder leaf really added a great touch. The second one is drying now, the wrapping was much better this time. I was more careful about stretching the wrapper as I rolled. . It looks and tastes like something I would pay $10 for at the cigar shop. I'm thinking I might save some money.

Last edited:

Tom_in_TN

The reason for ageing cigar is the same reason to use aged tobacco for rolling. The tastes have a chance to blend and get better. BUT, there are some cigars that actually tast better fresh. Go figure. Another thing that can happen to aged cigars is they will develop 'bloom' that you see as tiny little crytals on the wrapper. The oils in the leaf begin to mingle together over time. Some leaf has more oils. Anyway, once you've smoked a naturally 'bloomed' cigar compared to a young cigar you'll understand why tobacco, cigars, are aged.

Status
Not open for further replies.