Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco plant list 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
2018 Plants will be late this year .
Colder than usual spring and another more important issue that has put a extra large work load on me that is taking a lot of my time away from my plant growing .

Here is my list that I am planning on having for sale . Some may not be available and is according to if I get them moved into trays to finish growing them.
If I have a variety that you need a large quantity of make sure to let me know so I will have them .

Some plants are for my personal grow and may not be available unless you order them early .

Tobacco plant list 2018

BL-Bright leaf ______________

SR- Silver River_____________

Bahia -______________ I may not finish these unless someone orders plants

BP- Mystery plant by porch _________________ Unknown variety that was a volunteer by my porch , I am growing just to see what it does in full sun .

TN90 __________________

VG - Virginia Gold _______________

BM- Black Mammoth ____________

BH - Big Havana____________X

PR- Penn Red _____________

C99- Corojo 99 ____________

LR- Long Red _____________

DH - Swarr-Hibsman __________

PC- Piloto Cubano____________

DO- Dutch Ohio _____________

NDB- Nostrano Del Berenta________

CTS- CT Shade __________

B- Besuki _____________

S- Scantic ___________

P- Prilep ____________

H142- Havana 142 _________

MF- Mata Fina ___________

ZD- Zeca De _________

O68- Olson 68___________

TR6 - Rustica ___________

V - Vuelta Abajo ________

CTB - CT Broadleaf _______

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have these plants ready if anyone need plants this year .More varieties will be available soon as they get big enough .

Virginia Bright leaf
Prilep
Yellow Twist Bud
Silver river
Rustica TR6 and Olson 68

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone is looking for a highly productive and delicious Oriental, Prilep is an excellent choice. It air-cures adequately, sun-cures beautifully and also flu-cures well.

Bob

mwaller

Wow, that is an impressive list!
What is "Mata Fina?" I'm familiar with the leaf from Brazil, but I wasn't aware of varietal by that name.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Mata Fina" (which is the name of a province) is what the varietal, Bahia, is called in commercial channels. "Mata Fina" and the varietal, Bahia, are the same thing.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
"Mata Fina" (which is the name of a province) is what the varietal, Bahia, is called in commercial channels. "Mata Fina" and the varietal, Bahia, are the same thing.

Bob

I seeded a tray of Bahia and the plants don't look anything like the Mata fina's do .

I have not and may not make a tray of Bahia to plant , unless I need to grow them to see if there is a difference .
I gave up on them as I have too many other plants to tend to But they are still small in my seed trays and all I have to do is move them into my 200 cell trays to finish growing them .
Bahia seedlings are a light green and Mata fina's are a darker green .

BigBonner

Founding Member
Seeds came directly from Brazil . I had a person wanting rollers down there and I had another person who asked me to grow some Mata Fina for him . The price of shipping a roller down there was too much . But I asked about seeds and now I have them . Bahia I received from Bob .
These trays are trays I pulled my seedling from and transplanted into my 200 cell trays . I over did it with my seed trays .

Tray on the left is Mata Fina , Right is Bahia . They were seeded at different times but both was placed in the same bed with the same water . Mata Fina is a little younger and has always been dark green . Bahia has always been a light green like a Turkish tobacco
q2kBW3k.jpg

YLUhDRy.jpg

These are just some of my middle size plants that will be ready in the next few days .
JCJnr1f.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This post from 4 years ago discusses the lineage of Bahia (Mata Fina) leaf: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4911-Mata-Fina-Brazilian-Leaf?p=88190&viewfull=1#post88190

It contains a couple of links to excellent, short articles on the subject. And those contain some additional links.

The Bahia seed that I provided to Larry was a refresh of Bahia from ARS-GRIN (via Don).

From my 2015 grow:

Garden20150901_2063_Bahia_leaf_500.jpg

Garden20150901_2065_Bahia_auricle_400.jpg

Garden20150901_2067_Bahia_SanAndres_leafCompare_400.jpg

As you can see in the last photo, the Bahia (Mata Fina) leaf is quite dark.

Plant height: 48" topped
10th leaf: 17.5" x 11"
Leaf count: 18

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
I would say that the grin seeds were original seeds and what I have is possibly breed for better genetics or it may still be the same seeds ???
The plants look identical but the only noticeable difference is Mata Fina is darker green and The Bahia is a lighter green .

That is some good looking Bahia leaf . Is it worth growing a small patch or would I be better off growing something better ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It might be nice to plant at least a small amount of each, for comparing the mature plants. As for the finished leaf, it makes decent cigar filler. In Brazil, it's not uncommon for small, open fires to be used in the curing sheds, which partly accounts for some of the unique (dark and musty) aroma of commercial Mata Fina leaf.

You may be right about the newer genetics. We know, for example, that the Habano leaf grown in Honduras and Nicaragua began as Cuban seed of either Corojo or Criollo, maybe both, which they no longer resemble. And all of it likely began as "Vuelta Abajo" leaf in the Cuba of the 1920s. Varietal purity always loses out to the need for specific disease resistance.

Bob

Levi Gross

Seeds came directly from Brazil . I had a person wanting rollers down there and I had another person who asked me to grow some Mata Fina for him . The price of shipping a roller down there was too much . But I asked about seeds and now I have them . Bahia I received from Bob .
These trays are trays I pulled my seedling from and transplanted into my 200 cell trays . I over did it with my seed trays .

Tray on the left is Mata Fina , Right is Bahia . They were seeded at different times but both was placed in the same bed with the same water . Mata Fina is a little younger and has always been dark green . Bahia has always been a light green like a Turkish tobacco
q2kBW3k.jpg

YLUhDRy.jpg

These are just some of my middle size plants that will be ready in the next few days .
JCJnr1f.jpg
This picture makes my grow comical in comparison...

Status
Not open for further replies.