Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Syrian Latakia Availability Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

Last year one of the big rumors going around was that the Syrian Latakia leaf was in extinction mode. Not sure if this rumor started because of the termoil and war in that region halting production or if it was just a ploy to move some Syrian product off the shelves.

True or false the Syrian Latakia blends flew off of the shelves of all major vendors online. Folks were snatching up multiple tins or 1lb bags. I bought a few small tins but couldn't afford a whole lot at the time. So, I just figured it's gone and moved on.

Today I see a comeback of the product. All major vendors online have all tin sizes and 1lb bags available once again. Which leads one to believe last year's hoopla may have have been nothing more than...dare I say false rumors.

alPol05

I don't see any Syrian Latakia for sale.
It would be very, very strange to see it again.
Where is it?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Latakia production in Syria has been winding down for years. (An Imam's fatwa condemned it.) Mostly, the decrease was due to efforts to preserve the trees that had been used for decades as fuel. I would be surprised if there is any more than a trickle of local Latakia production there. The port city of Latakia is now a Russian naval and air base. The entire Syrian economy is toast.

To add to the problem, the single, vast warehouse holding Syrian Latakia in the US burned down a few years back.

Where online are you seeing this?

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Tobacco is a commodity. I sold a very large quantity to the Chinese market late last year and after a sales rep for the world's largest tobacco holding corporation supplied my order, there were 1700 lbs. of Latakia available on the open market. Within one week there was no Latakia available, on the open market. Because demand went up, so did the price (it's a commodity), so someone released some Latakia they were holding at what I would guess to be a tidy profit.

Last year's crop of "A grade leaf" Cyprian Latakia will be available beginning in July. There are currently several thousand pounds of "scrap" still available from 2016 crop year.

Leaf Latakia

cyprus_latakia_leaf_tobacco-1024x577.jpg

Scrap Latakia

latakia_scrap_tobacco-1024x577.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Even if you moisten then shred Latakia, it ends up as crumbled "scrap" in tobacco blends. So scrap Latakia would seem to be just as useful as whole leaf. That assumes that "scrap" does not mean all stems and floor sweepings.

Bob

greenmonster714

MacBaren is coming out with a HH Vintage Latakia mix but I don't see it anywhere yet.
What I'm seeing is the HH Vintage Syrian and not HH Vintage Latakia. If they are using the other latakia and marking them as Syrian they are guilty of false advertising. I did a search of vintage latakia and it was not found at either of the major vendors p&c or SP. Only the vintage Syrian was found.
A Google shopping search comes up with no vintage latakia. There are a few articles about it but nobody has any for sale

greenmonster714

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I shred my WLT Cyprian Latakia, I just take a handful out of the bag, mound it, and start thin "slicing". When it's done, it really looks just like the photo of "fine scrap" that Don has posted. The WLT website shows only 11 pounds of Cyprian Latakia remaing. Will the "fine scrap" Latakia be offered at WLT?

Bob

alPol05

Last year one of the big rumors going around was that the Syrian Latakia leaf was in extinction mode. Today I see a comeback of the product. All major vendors online have all tin sizes and 1lb bags available once again. Which leads one to believe last year's hoopla may have have been nothing more than... dare I say false rumors.

I hope we finally got it all sorted out.

Syrian Latakia is gone from retail sale for quite some time. There is no hope it will return as a blending component.

The Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian is a blend that was available for a long time and is available again in limited supply, after some shortage. It is most likely on its last legs and will disappear after Mac Baren runs out of their stored Syrian Latakia.

To benefit of Mac Baner name the company introduced HH Vintage Latakia. The Latakia used in this blend is from Cypress. The product is not yet available in retail channels.

greenmonster714

To benefit of Mac Baner name the company introduced HH Vintage Latakia. The Latakia used in this blend is from Cypress. The product is not yet available in retail channels.[/COLOR]

Yeah, I mention the vintage latakia earlier. I'll give it a try whenever it comes out. If it's any good or very similar to the vintage Syrian it will become a blend I'd like to clone. Can't seem to find it anywhere yet.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It's a blend I'd like to copy if at all possible. I'm ordering some latakia soon and prob some fire cured as well. Maybe I can come close.

I think you might be disappointed. There is a big difference between the Syrian and Cyprian Latakias. Over the past few years I've amassed about 8 pounds of the HH Vintage Syrian.:)

greenmonster714

I think you might be disappointed. There is a big difference between the Syrian and Cyprian Latakias. Over the past few years I've amassed about 8 pounds of the HH Vintage Syrian.:)

Yes, I totally agree. For my tastes the Syrian is far superior. I don't hate the other though. To me the latakia from Cypress is just a little more perfumed and has a heavier smokey flavor. Damn 8lbs. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.