Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plöjarns Grow Log 2018 (First grow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
That is a good question about when to harvest. That is covered here in the forum quite a bit. I am going to suggest That when the flower heads are ripe [matured] or if topped around the same time.

BarG

Founding Member
I think similar in growth. It has been a few yrs but my YTB was always a slow starter and was the last to mature.

BarG

Founding Member
I Had silver river on my mind looking at your Yellow twist bud, sorry about that,ytb was a favorite till I ran out of it. Your YTB looks looks a lot different than mine did in past grow logs, maybe I can check and get back on it.

Plöjarn

Update:
The Little Dutch and Vuelta Abajo have now been topped since they were showing buds. I no longer believe they are too small to flower.. The plants have really stretched out. The top of the Vuelta Abajo was touching the greenhouse roof before I pinched it off. Now I just hope they don´t get too ripe until I come back from my vacation in 10 days....

The YTB seems to be taking off nicely now, I guess it was just slower than the other varieties. It is still not showing buds and I hope it will get a bit bigger before it does. You can see it in the closest row in the picture with my dog...

IMG_7680.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
One of my favorite dog breeds.

AshlandMO_1975_3616_600.jpg

My home in 1975.

Bob

Plöjarn

He is an accidental crossbreed between Drathaar and Kurzhaar.... But he looks and works like a Draathaar.

I also love those floppy ears Bob :)
They are wonderful dogs!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Drathaar or kurzhaar?
I had to look up those terms.
  • Drathaar = wire hair
  • Kurzhaar = short hair (cut hair)
I knew my dog (named Becket) as a German Shorthair Pointer. He would insist on playing "fetch", until I collapsed from exhaustion. He could easily vault over a 2 meter barbed wire fence. He naturally pointed, from the time he was about 2 months old.

Sorry to interrupt your grow log. Favorite dogs evoke intense memories. And the floppy ears!

Bob

Plöjarn

Coming home after a weeks amazing adventure in Scotland i found my tobacco to be very mature. Sweden are having the hottest summer in 260 years, and no rain for approximately 10 weeks so the plants are not very happy. The Yellow Twist Bud was almost completely yellow. So I have started harvesting what I can... The YTB is not very big, but the Little Dutch and Vuelta Abajo is looking pretty good!

I took my two planting tables in the greenhouse and stacked them on top of each other. Cut up a cheap tarp and used it to make them into two small "tents" for colour curing. I have put the leaves on stainless steel wires and hanged them under the tables. I'm having trouble keeping the humidity up in this scorching weather, but i think it will work out with some buckets of water in the "tents". Other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_7808.jpg
    IMG_7808.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7809.jpg
    IMG_7809.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7810.jpg
    IMG_7810.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10

Plöjarn

Thanks Bob. I now have some towels in the tent...

But I think I might be running into trubble.... When checking the leaves today I found some dark spots/areas on some of it. I am worried that the leafs might be "rotting" intstead of curing correctly. What might be the problem? We are getting some really high temperatures (90-95 F). Too hot? Too moist?

Attachments

• IMG_7811.jpg
    IMG_7811.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7812.jpg
    IMG_7812.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 10

ChinaVoodoo

It looks like the yellow one on the right was bruised at some point. Damaged areas like that are more likely to rot or mold, but it is not a rule. I would begin drying that yellow leaf soon. I would monitor damaged green leaves, and rip or cut away any areas that are unlikely to taste good in the future when you smoke it.

Plöjarn

Ok. That sounds reasonable. It might be damaged spots that are going bad. But I thought the yellow leaf (Burley) should go brown before drying?

Plöjarn

So as soon as a leaf is completely yellow it should be hang to dry as quickly as possible? I've missed that piece of information, I was waiting for it to turn brown.... You might just have saved me from rotting half of my crop. Thanks!

ChinaVoodoo

So as soon as a leaf is completely yellow it should be hang to dry as quickly as possible? I've missed that piece of information, I was waiting for it to turn brown.... You might just have saved me from rotting half of my crop. Thanks!

Yes, absolutely.... With one exception. White burley apparently needs a bit more time to hang while yellow than other tobaccos do. How long that is, I don't know. Someone does, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.