Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

About how long to age air-cured bright leaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjnawa

About how long will it take for a VBL to age for smoking. Keeping in mind that it was air curred inside.
Thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: About how long

I'll take a wild guess, and assume you are asking about Virginia Bright Leaf.

At room temperature (e.g. ~70°F), with the color-cured leaf maintained in low case (not dry, but flexible) in a vapor-proof container, it will probably require 6 to 24 months to age it as well as can be expected. It will likely be "smokable" before that, but will smell and taste "grassy" and unfinished. If, upon opening the container, you sense the aroma of ammonia, then it's not ready yet.

Bob

sjnawa

Bob thank you for that when you say vapor proof container could you give me an example. I have been keeping them in a shoe box and misting them to keep them like you said. And yes we are talking about Viginia Bright Leaf.
Thanks,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

...vapor proof container...
  • Poly-nylon bag
  • snugly sealed plastic box
  • Tupperware
Using a shoe box or any non-vapor-proof container will work, so long as you are conscientious about keeping the humidity in the proper range (and avoiding mold).

Bob

sjnawa

Bob,
Again thank you for the information. One other question I have is would steaming the leaves for say about 3 or 4 hours hasten the process? If so by how much?
Thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Steaming" sounds a little worrisome. If it cooks the leaf, then you end up with Cavendish. Humidification or the use of a vaporizer--just enough to keep the leaf pliable but not damp--would work.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.