Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Brand New seedling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeym4n

Hello all, just got some seeds to start. They are in a mini green house in cups. I had been keeping them moist with a spray bottle up until now. I was wondering how often to water them? I live in North Florida and they are in the sun. I want to avoid damping off but afraid in this heat they will dry out and die.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. It's going to be a squeaker for you. Your average first frost is late November. Calculate 2 months for the seedlings to develop, prior to transplanting to the ground, then 60-90 days until harvest. You may be able to swing it.

Be sure to read the growers' FAQ. I usually suggest that you water seedlings from the bottom. If the cups are not perforated, you can just pour some water down the side of each cup to a level of about 1/2". If the cups are perforated at the bottom, then you can simply place them into a tray or dish, and add water to the dish. Once the seeds have germinated, you may not need to mist them at all, so long as the soil is moist.

Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. What varieties are you growing? What ultimate use do you anticipate? How many plants do you project for your first grow? If you like, you can also start your own grow log in the Grow Blogs section. We'd love to follow your progress.

Bob

Journeym4n

Ive got a row of Rustica on top, Mississippi Heirloom and Virginia Bright below. I actually just went to check them and some look like they're dying or dead. Some are still alive though maybe they'll thin themselves? Also I'm growing primarily for smoking.

Alpine

Over-babying seedlings is the most common mistake first time growers do. Been there, done that. Tobacco is a very sturdy plant, but doesn’t like wet feet in any stage. Also, keep them in full light, not full sun until they are well established (I wait them to show 2 or 3 true leaves) and even then, a few hours of sun each day avoiding the central and hotter hours.

pier

Status
Not open for further replies.