Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lower Leaves Breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim232118

So I'm well into my first attempt at growing tobacco and everything has gone really well so far but tonight when I was checking the plants I noticed a lot of the lower leaves, about halfway down the stalk, were bent over and broken about half way down the leaf. I live Mansfield, TX, just outside of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, and it's been very windy here the last week. Could this be from the wind? Anything I can do to prevent this? I am worried about losing too may leaves since I only have 12 plants. I got a late start and transplanted outside on 5/28/18 and plants are about 42" high. Should I be worried?

Jim

ChinaVoodoo

For clarification, the mid ribs half way down the leaves are snapped, but the lamina is still intact?

I have a couple opinions on that. One is that losing leaves for various reasons, heck, even losing entire plants is simply a part of the process, and stressing out about saving every last ounce of tobacco ruins my day.

Leaves can often survive this situation, and if they stay green, it's really no big deal. If after a few days, the part below the crack starts to really turn color, you can tear that bit off, and if it's/they're big enough to warrant curing, go ahead and cure it/them.

Jim, there's plenty of time for your tobacco to grow. I live in Alberta and I plant late May, early June. You see a lot of southern Americans planting earlier than you did, but it's not because they have to. My guess it's partly because, really, why not, and why let the weeds grow, and warmer weather during curing.

Jim232118

Yes the lamina is still intact, mid rib is snapped. Leaves look nice and healthy, just snapped. I appreciate your response, I’ll just see how they do. I was a little worried about starting late but based on how well the plants are doing, I realize I have quite a big window to get plants going.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Three common causes of broken leaf stems are:
  • wind
  • meandering animals
  • meandering growers
I find it truly annoying when that happens, but the leaves usually survive and grow, and cure normally.

If you enter your location into your profile, it will appear alongside each of your posts.

Bob

HercDriver

Jim, a few of my plants seem to break about a third from the tip of the leaf as well. Especially around the bottom. The leaves on the middle and top of the plant seem to be "stronger" if you will. The plants do not seem to mind.

OldDinosaurWesH

As my plants get bigger, I have problems with broken leaves also. As Bob put it previously "meandering growers" are the principal reason I get broken leaves. I plant my rows "tight pack" (on 2 foot centers) and have to do a kind of dance to get down the rows without breaking leaves. I still break them. Usually the broken leaves end up okay. Sometimes, they meet an early demise. That's okay. Grow more next year!

Wes H.

Status
Not open for further replies.