Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Noob here. I know I've made some mistakes, but hoping for my first harvest soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balgaire

As the title says, I have had some plants in the ground for about 2 months now. I'm posting pictures to see if there's anything I need to be doing while I wait for buds. I started quite a few plants, but I only have room for 5. I gave the rest to a buddy with some garden space and we are going to try to share the spoils. I know from reading on here today that some of my plants are a little 'leggy' because I had to compromise on planting location and we don't get a full day's sun. I bought a pack of mixed pipe tobacco seeds from Sustainable Seed, so I don't know the exact strain.

I need advice and suggestions on curing. I just plan on making some pipe tobacco. The guy who first told me about growing my own says he just puts the whole bundle of plants up in his scuttle attic for about a year. The more I read, the more I realize that the curing seems to be the critical part of this whole thing and I don't want to do that until I am sure it will work. I do not have a shed, and probably can't build some of the stuff I have seen. I saw an older post by @deluxestogie that showed some plants wrapped in plastic wrap. I have a grand idea for an arduino controlled chamber that will monitor heat and humidity and adjust things as needed, but I am a novice programmer and probably won't have time to get that together this season. For this year, I don't know if I should try to cure the whole plant or take leaves as they mature. Suggestions and ideas welcome!

Anyway, that's the intro. Here are the pics. I just got through doing some weeding with a scuffle hoe.
IMG_20180714_182122816.jpgIMG_20180714_182118582.jpgIMG_20180714_182139722.jpgIMG_20180714_182145585.jpgIMG_20180714_182131702.jpgIMG_20180714_182204023.jpg

First picture has the four I have grouped together. The rest are some shots of the individual plants (I thought that might be easier to tell me which ones need work). The 5th picture that has the main stem on the ground was nicked by my yard guy with the weedeater and I was waiting to see what it would do. It appears the main stem because sort of a runner and another runner shot up to make a second main stem. The last picture is a plant next to my Asian Chili Pepper plant that I put next to the house that obviously gets a little more sun (I'll know more for next season).

That's what I've got coming in. I fertilize with fish emulsion about every 10 days, and I dust with Sevin Dust according to the recommendation for tomato plants on the container.

I know I probably have done a lot of things wrong. Here to learn.
Thanks

Balgaire

Thanks. I have been reading through that sub. It's a little overwhelming to start with, but I am beginning to make sense of some things, I think.

CobGuy

Overwhelming is a good description of the info provided in these pages ... read, read and then read again.

Looks like you'll have plenty of leaves to experiment with and you live in a good climate for air-curing.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.