Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is this TMV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balgaire

NCj2r16.jpg

It's on one leaf of a plant that's 10-15 yards away from the others. If it is, what do I do? I mean, I'm googling and reading up, but it's in the whole plant and not just this one leaf, right?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It definitely looks viral. It could be TMV. Some members would suggest that you pull the plant and burn it.

Every year, I have at least a few plants that are affected by one of a variety of viruses. Some of these are very easy to identify, like Tobacco Etch Virus, and others resemble several possible viral causes. For the past 5 years or so, I simply watch these, and make a note to not plant tobacco (or other solanaceous crop) in that bed for a couple of years. I do take care to manage any affected plants last each day, after visiting all the healthy plants first. Then I immediately wash my hands. I also will not save seed from an affected plant, even though the seed itself does not transmit viruses very well. But the pods do, and that just increases the risk of cross-contamination.

Most of these viral pathogens are carried to individual plants by insects, though some viruses linger in the soil.

If a plant appears to be severely affected by a virus, then I'll destroy it. Otherwise, I harvest it along with the rest, so long as the leaf is not trashy. Basically, I ignore mild-to-moderate viral infections, and have not seen any indication of progressive spread. Crop rotation helps.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.