Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco: Yesterday's Miracle Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A very short (2 page) article on the worldwide spread of tobacco use: Taking to Tobacco [pdf 0.4 MB]

Spoiler Alert: The doctor did it!

Withington P: Taking to Tobacco. The Lancet.com 21 JUL 2018 said:
...moving back to circa 1618, scholars have identified western medicine and its practitioners as one of the main reasons why Europeans ever even contemplated indulging in the new and very strange behaviour of setting a herb on fire and inhaling the smoke into the body in the first place.

...an agent that warmed and dried the body and acted as a purgative within and balm without, it was suited to treat ailments as diverse as toothache and cancer.
The Lancet is among the world's most renowned medical journals.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In a curious bit of recent research, use of a nicotine patch was found to improve depression in older adults.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-09-nicotine-patch-late-life-depression.html

After age 60, most common antidepressants are not particularly effective at improving depression. In this trial study, nicotine significantly improved measures of depression, and to a lesser extent seemed to improve overall cognition.

Are there any FTT members who are surprised?

Bob

skychaser

Did you know nicotine also has been found to greatly promote the healing of capillaries during the first 3-4 days fallowing an injury? I'm testing this on the thumb I tried to remove yesterday while changing a 38" tractor tire.

Also, did you know that smokers have 50% less Alzheimer's and 75% less Parkinson's disease than non smokers? Might be worth researching why this is, but I have never seen a single study done on it.

ChinaVoodoo

As a future psychologist, it goes against instinct to not provide a reference, but I believe it also helps regulate schizophrenia.

skychaser

I remember reading something about schizophrenia somewhere too. That an unusally high number of schizophrenics are smokers. The speculation was were self medicating and were possibly benefiting from it in some way.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The study that needed to have been done is to give older adults with depression a few boxes of nice, mellow cigars, then measure changes in their depressive symptoms and cognition. Regardless of how well such a study might be constructed, no ethics committee on earth would approve the research today. Regardless of how carefully such a study might be carried out, no scholarly publication would publish it today.

Some of you older folks might be familiar with a 1973 Woody Allen comedy (in which an ancient VW beetle is discovered 200 years from now, inside a cave, and which starts up immediately, when the ignition key is turned) called Sleeper. It reveals that tobacco was finally found to be good for you.

Bob

greenmonster714

Nicotine is so demonized in most countries these days. They all just want to see it disappear. Nicotine doesn't make healing difficult but it can prolong the process. It also constricts blood vessels making it not so great for the heart. Lungs...not so much the nicotine that damages its all the other garbage inhaled from the burn. Nicotine has a calming effect...no doubt about that. Many doctors suggested smoking for most of the 20th century. I'll prob consume nicotine till I can no more. That will be a sad day indeed.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Inhaling the smoke from burning tobacco is an entirely different issue. Cigars are not inhaled. Pipe tobacco smoke is not inhaled by most pipe smokers. Unfortunately, today very few published studies differentiate between inhaled tobacco smoke and non-inhaled tobacco use.

There is a UN accord on the elimination of tobacco use worldwide.

One clear issue with every form of tobacco use--every one--is a greater risk of losing teeth. It's a valid statistic. You might be lucky or you might not. This appears to be the result of the direct impact of tobacco constituents on oral flora, as well as vasoconstriction of the gums, and an increase in inflammatory proteins. Even vaping appears to increase the risk of tooth loss, though the research there is minimal.

Bob

greenmonster714

Yes, smoking does damage the teeth. I'm in need of dentures already..lol.

i agree that typically pipe n cigar smokers do not inhale like cigarettes smokers but ya do inhale a little unintentionally. Ya just can't avoid it but at least it's not as much as cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.