Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Who Has Grown Yellow Twist Bud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek14

I'm growing Yellow Twist Bud primarily this year and would like input from anyone who has grown the plant.

I really like this plant so far. I already know I like the flavor and it is supposed to be very easy and quick to cure. I got them in a little late. They grew about normally in the spring and then shot up about chest high. We have had quite a bit of rain. I topped the first ones a couple weeks ago but am still topping stragglers. Thing is, I'm getting tiny yellowed tips on a lot of the leaves already. For various reasons it would be nice for me to harvest whole plants and get them hanging as soon as possible.

So, a few questions. Could these actually be done here at the end of July? Could I keep removing new shoots and suckers and speed the harvest? Does the plant in the pic below look done?

I actually would like any input at all from anyone who has grown Yellow Twist Bud. I'm thinking I'll be growing it again.

LLBmFML.jpg

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I've grown YTB burley for a about half-dozen years, one of my favorites for cig blend.
Yes, it's a very easy air-cure. I've never done a stalk-cure, but don't think there would be any problems with it.
YTB burley leaf mature from the lower leaf and upwards. Immature leaf are smooth surface and darker green. Tell-tell signs of mature leaf are an alligator (bumpy) texture, light green color and lots of yellow splotches throughout the leaf, but the most obvious sign of a ripe leaf is the bright-WHITE color of the leaf mid-rib stem, white both on the top and bottom of the mid-rib.

My suggestions if you must stalk-cure. Since there may be as much as a 4-6 weeks between ripening lower leaf and the upper-top leaf, it may be best to pick the lower leaf when they start to show browning, and hang to finish curing, or you'll lose them to wind, rain, insects, etc.
Once the top leaves are showing signs of the alligator texture, lighter color and maybe yellow spots, then cut and hang the whole stalk.
As the whole plant 'dies', those top leaf will properly ripen and cure.
good Luck !

Last edited:

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
looking again at your photo of the plant, none of those leaves are ripening, mid-rib stem is still greenish, and they're still a dark green, smooth leaf. PATIENCE !

davek14

Thanks. I'm not going to be around my plants as much as I would like and am having work done on my home. They are in two locations as well. Thus wanting to stalk harvest. I've read that it's a bit more cigar like if you do that as well. Last year I picked my Kelly Burley mostly a leaf at a time and went by when they yellowed. Sucks that I can't give them as much care this year.

I did just get to go look at the plant in the pic and I'm getting a better handle on it. Lower leaves, probably not very visible in the pic, have the white stem and also some yellowing. The middle leaves I was wondering about. They have white at the base only.

I've harvested completely yellow leaves and just color cured them and they are a little more mellow than yellow leaves from the Burley I grew last year. I figure these will be good once aged a year. Agree?

davek14

I think this has been asked, but I'm not sure it has been answered. Is there a way to mellow the slightly rank taste of tobacco which is *almost* done aging/kilning? I have various stuff which ain't bad but still has just a touch of that rankness. Wouldn't mind being able to blend it in to stuff I'm smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.