Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Aging question - indoor vs outdoor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a quick question about aging. I couldn't find an appropriate sub forum so... here it goes; can this be done inside? I don't really have a shed so could it be done in a closet or even just out in the house? Would it smell like tobacco inside?

Thanks! :)

Someguywithahat

ChinaVoodoo

Re: Aging question

There are many configurations a person could have for an aging kiln, depending on how much tobacco you want to fit in it, and how much money you want to spend. Inside is best, either way, because the less of a temperature differential between inside and outside, and the more constant the outside temperature, the less energy and better control you will require and get. Sorry for the run on sentence.

A kiln could be as small as a cooler, and as large as a shed. The average in this forum amongst members, I'm guessing is somewhere between 6 to 15 cubic feet.

davek14

For aging you need the tobacco to remain in case, enough moisture to be pliable. In my air conditioned and heated home, tobacco gets crispy dry. In my unattached garage I have had mold because of it being too moist. I've got tobacco in the garage I will take inside come fall, mold season. My basement might end up working for long term storage, film at eleven.

Smokin Harley

I have cased tobacco in gasketed plastic tubs...been in there for almost 2 yrs now , no mold. which reminds me , I need to go let it breathe .

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I leave my air-cured tobacco hanging in the shed until spring most years, as a matter of convenience. The shed is well ventilated, and I run a oscillating fan during warmer/wet weather to minimize mold.
My refrigerator kiln runs mostly continuous during the winter in 30-day batches, and it's near time to start curing the next crop by the time I finish kiln-ageing the last crop.

skychaser

I leave my air-cured tobacco hanging in the shed until spring most years, as a matter of convenience.

That is what I do with most of mine. In my climate, the spring, summer and fall months are no problem as it is generally very dry here. The only time I have had any problems with tobacco left hanging in my barn is during the winter if we have long periods of wet and foggy weather. Water can condense on the outer edges of strings and causes speckled mold spots.

I have aged tobacco about every way possible. Once the leaf has been thoroughly dried, you can bring it back into light case and pack the leaf into cardboard boxes to age. This works very well as cardboard will breath and allow air exchange. Stripping out the main stem saves space and eliminates the main source of mold, which is a stem that was not 100% dried before storage. Get that main stem DRY or strip it out. Many of us have made that mistake and lost tobacco.

I have also aged it after curing by fully processing it so it is ready to smoke. We flake our cigarette tobacco. It is much easier than shredding. Flaked or shredded is largely a matter of preference, especially with cigarette tobacco. We take cured leaf that is bone dry and out of case and crumble it up over a 1/4 mesh hardware cloth screen and into a plastic tote. We store and age it in the tote dry and out of case, or in very low case. It takes at least 6 months or more for bright leafs to age this way. Burleys may take longer depending on the strain.

To simplify it down to the basics, the aging of tobacco is a chemical reaction primarily between nitrogen compounds in the leaf and oxygen in the atmosphere. It will age at any temperature or moisture level, but as with all chemical reactions, it happens much quicker at higher temps than low ones. And it happens quicker in tobacco if some moisture is present. That is why a kiln can "age" tobacco in a month as opposed to the 6 months to a year natural aging takes.

Hope this helps you some,

Sky

Smokin Harley

How often do you let it breathe?

well Dave, I grew it last time I had a garden back in IL which was 2016. I had probably upwards of 120 tobacco plants,some of which were shade grown for wrapper and experimental purposes . I color cured it in my shed and then one day in the fall while the humidity was high and leaf was in perfect case, I packed it away in gasketed plastic tubs and then last year we moved down here to Alabama where its been in the same tubs ,up on the top shelf (8 ft up near the ceiling) in my polebarn where its been hot ,sealed for 2 years . I opened the tubs yesterday and the leaf is still in perfect case ,no mold at all ,but still has that grassy unfermented smell, nothing like Don's leaf from WLT. I had opened them last summer when we moved here .
I was hoping it would have naturally aged/fermented and sweetened up a bit or become the least bit earthy but it hasn't. I'm unsure at this point what I should/can do with it. I'm wondering if I place the (clear)tubs outside in full sun would it help.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Let the sealed tobacco air-out for a week, then give it another sniff. You're probably smelling the collected fermentation products.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Let the sealed tobacco air-out for a week, then give it another sniff. You're probably smelling the collected fermentation products.

Bob

I cracked the lids a bit so air may escape /exchange. Kept the tubs on the highest shelf in the barn. . I must have sensed the weather the last three days , its been raining and humidity is very high, almost as much as the day I tubbed them. I'm hoping this keeps the tobacco in case while it breathes.

Status
Not open for further replies.