Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Makin Dip

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaManus

Hey all fellow tobacco lovers,
Latley I have started the habit of dipping, and i would like to make some out of the havana I am growing. I need to know the process in full, so how to cure it for dip how to shred it and how to flavor it. In the end I want a dip with a nice nicotine hit and a dip that tastes real nice.

Thanks to all that help. :)

Juxtaposer

Most dips use at least some fire cured tobaccos. You really don't have to though and air cured will have less TSNA's. A coffee grinder will do nicely for shredding. A burr grinder can give you a consistent grind unless you are looking for a long cut type. For long cut I think the cigarette smokers can be of better help but I have seen (online) paper shredders being used successfully. If you are grinding it you will want to let it dry out a little beforehand. You will want to add an alkalizer to freebase more of the nicotine. Sodium carbonate (washing soda) is the most easily obtainable. Ammonium chloride is another accessible food product that will do the trick. These can be added at around a three percent by weight total (not each). Salt is another ingredient you will want to add. It will bring out the flavors and help preserve your snuff. You can salt to taste really three percent would be a good starting point. You can go more or less from there. You can add a sweetener but this is more common for dip than chew. The salts should be diluted in liquid before adding to the dry ground tobacco. This liquid can consist of just about anything you want to flavor your snuff. A licorice root tea, for example, will do wonders as a casing here. You can also use juice or just water with a few drops of flavor essence added. If too much liquid is added you can let some evaporate on a low heat. This recipe is good for making all types of smokeless tobaccos.
Also see the snuff recipes thread

G-Chew

how do you prep your bacy? do you cure and ferment it in whole leaf form, then stread it? i have thought about shreading after it is cured...before i ferment it...so as to create a more even fermenation process..what are your thoughts?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I cure mine, then ferment it or sweat it. In the olden days ( 3 months ago) I used to shred it with an angel hair pasta shredder after it was fermented. Now I use the Powermatic shredder. Shredded or whole leaf I do not think you will notice a difference after it is fermented. I'd do whatever is easier for you.

Randy B

G-Chew

Dont tell me wife...but i put a hand ful of color cured into my dryer. i activated the steam cycle/delicate cycle and it seperated the steams...i had to hurry to get it all cleaned up before seh found out but it worked great! now i just hve to ferment it....now i have to figure that out.... :)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Funny! Just the other day my wife said to me she couldn't find the electric roasting pan and she looked all over the house. I told her it was on my table saw, full of tobacco.

G-Chew

THAT is hillarious! I just think it would fermint better if it was preground after curing...especially if flavor was going to be added or sprayed on...but it would need like a tumbler or device to rotate and mix it...maybe take a dryer apart and place it inside a Kiln so that it tumbles and ferments at the same time....

Status
Not open for further replies.