Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rant of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Those who went through the painful tradition known as University life- do you find it very annoying when a student attending University X walks around on campus all the time wearing regalia from University Y where Y is some uber prestigious University like Berkeley or Cornell? Why do people do that? I don't walk into Starbucks all the time wearing a Peet's coffee shirt.

Rayshields

Way back when, at the Land Grant University where I attended, you were not allowed to wear the class ring you had from high school, boys could not wear jeans to class, girls could not wear slacks (unless it was 10F or less), this was mid 60's; before the inmates took over the prisons. The thought of wearing a sweater, jacket, shirt or ANYTHING bearing the logo of another university, might have gotten you beaten up.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
If the quality of the campus cops hasn't improved from the 60s, you could be deported to Havana for such a politically incorrect move.

This campus has a big ag department- if someone walked around with a tobacco shirt they would probably think you are an aggie.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
"Rant of the day" should probably be it's own forum...

Here's mine...

Customer: "If you could give me the Virginia Bright Leaf in leaf form (or closest to it) instead of scraps, that would be great."

Me: "I'm really not quite sure what you are [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]referring to when you say "scrap".

Whole leaf tobacco is unprocessed tobacco in that it is not shredded or manufactured. Imported "whole leaf" is always highly compressed and very dry. Dry tobacco is very brittle...brittle tobacco turns into little pieces. I do my best to rehydrate the tobacco so it arrives to my customers in a "ready to use condition. If I were to send it in the dry/brittle form, they would not know what to do with it and end up with a pile of dust.

50 years ago, growers took pride in the quality of the leaf they sold. Big tobacco demanded the growers put the tobacco into 800 lb. bales and once the tobacco is compressed into a bale, human hands never touch it again. A lot of my whole leaf comes from these super compressed bales and disassembling them always causes the leaf to break.

I've solicited several growers who will be hand harvesting and curing tobacco for me this year. The bales will be much smaller and only lightly compressed. This takes quite a bit of extra effort, but it will produce a nearly complete leaf to sell. Hand harvested leaf will be available this Fall and the price will likely reflect the additional work that goes into making a "pretty" leaf.

Don"
[/FONT]

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
"Rant of the day" should probably be it's own forum...

Here's mine...

Customer: "If you could give me the Virginia Bright Leaf in leaf form (or closest to it) instead of scraps, that would be great."

Me: "I'm really not quite sure what you are referring to when you say "scrap".

Speaking of which.... I just got my order today! That fire cured smells amazing!

BarG

Founding Member
Everything shipped to me has arrived with the utmost care in packaging and leaf quality,when word gets out growers should be looking for you to market their product and be willing to go the extra mile.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Oh, and retail.... yeah.... lots of room for rants of the day... Rant of the minute is more like it. I worked retail for a number of years. Its funny, you never know how much you hate your job till you quit and your life suddenly improves by light years. I have some pretty good stories about customers from hell. I will save most for another day. I will share this one as I used it in a job interview a few years later (I was asked how I handled a difficult customer- I got the job)

Customer came in to my department (I was the dept. manager at the time) and wanted to order a product. I gave her a price quote. The quote was more than she expected by about $10 (this was like a $100 dollar order). She asked if the price went up and showed me her reciept from the last time she order this particular order over a year earlier (she did so calmly by the way). I looked at the reciept and told her she was undercharged last time.

She freaked out, told me the price was completely inappropriate and that she should get the old price. She yelled that it was our mistake before and by charging her the price she was charged this time, we were ripping here off(over a year later mind you- in all honesty, the price very well may have gone up). She then demanded to speak to the store manager and as I recall she called me an incompetent something or other (despite having one of the most loyal clientels in the chain in the district and having one of the highest profit to expense ratios... which occurs because of MINIMAL MISTAKES!) anyway, she screamed at me and stormed out yelling that she would never set foot in our store again (after she was comped on her order).

The ironic thing... She was ordering name badges FOR A CHURCH THAT SHE WORKED AT! Honestly, Church ladies and beauticians were always the worst customers at that store.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Everything shipped to me has arrived with the utmost care in packaging and leaf quality,when word gets out growers should be looking for you to market their product and be willing to go the extra mile.

Yeah, I was going to post some photos of the packaging in the WLT forum- so people can see. I was very impressed with the packaging. I can tell Don really takes pride in his work (based on this order at least).

BarG

Founding Member
Yeah, I was going to post some photos of the packaging in the WLT forum- so people can see. I was very impressed with the packaging. I can tell Don really takes pride in his work (based on this order at least).

All his orders arrive that way Coral. Ive been buying going on a yr. now and it just gets better.

johnlee1933

Founding Member

The only tobacco I have gotten from Don was a prize (read that FREE) {Maryland 609} . I admit I was disappointed the leaves didn't look anything like the leaves I pressed and fermented but after all,for free who bitches. Since then I have learned a bit more and can roll a pretty good cigar using it as filler. Having no experience with bought tobacco I expected something quite different. It just goes to show there is still an awful lot I have to learn about this game.

John

workhorse_01

Yall know why sweater vest didnt go to the dolphins ? Because the people would kill him down there, he really is hated in miami. The Canes are still better loved than the dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.