Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

tobacco laws for Michigan residents

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I have noticed that there is much ambiguity on many websites regarding if it is legal to grow tobacco in the state of Michigan. Michigan has some of the strictest laws over tobacco, and, since I am a Michigan resident, I did a little research:

First, I checked the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) website and it stated…

“TTB does not license, or require a permit for, growing tobacco. In addition, TTB does not regulate the sale of tobaccos that are not tobacco products.”

Second, I contacted the Michigan Department of Treasury Special Taxes Division Tobacco Tax Unit and the response I received…

“I am responding to your inquiries about growing tobacco in the State of Michigan. If you are growing the tobacco and using it for your own personal use/consumption there are no licenses or permits that are needed. If you want to sell the tobacco to others as a whole leaf product there are also no licenses or permits that are needed by you. If you process the tobacco and then sell it to others, then a license would need to be had by you.”

Many of you may know this already, but I thought I would share this information with first-time Michigan tobacco growers such as myself.

Marco

Last edited by a moderator:

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Great Post! I did the same research not too long ago and printed it out just to show any nosy neighbors

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
seems all laws are the same,,, as long as it's sold as whole-leaf

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If you plan to sell whole leaf it would probably be wise to keep a couple of copies of those laws with you as well as the # to your state's tobacco regulation agency. A few weeks ago in Baltimore City the cops conducted a big sting operation at a flea market and arrested a bunch of people selling counterfeit stuff. In reality, if I was selling whole leaf at the flea market that day I'd bet you the cop's donuts that they would have confiscated my "illegal" crop of tobacco because I didn't have any tax stamps.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Yup, make sure to get a receipt of evidence confiscation, badge ID #, contact info etc to contact the officer than took your crop. Everything I sell anymore (other than stuff like my used TV) I sell under my tax ID number. Yeah taxes are higher, but attorneys are even more expensive.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
wernt we based upon the idea of a free socity..???

}}to do as we please as long as we harm none, or is that the wiccan decree,,??}

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah I think that's the witch motto. Uncle Sams is more like "as long as I get my cut, do what thou will":)

BarG

Founding Member
I have noticed that there is much ambiguity on many websites regarding if it is legal to grow tobacco in the state of Michigan. Michigan has some of the strictest laws over tobacco, and, since I am a Michigan resident, I did a little research:

First, I checked the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) website and it stated…

“TTB does not license, or require a permit for, growing tobacco. In addition, TTB does not regulate the sale of tobaccos that are not tobacco products.”

Second, I contacted the Michigan Department of Treasury Special Taxes Division Tobacco Tax Unit and the response I received…

“I am responding to your inquiries about growing tobacco in the State of Michigan. If you are growing the tobacco and using it for your own personal use/consumption there are no licenses or permits that are needed. If you want to sell the tobacco to others as a whole leaf product there are also no licenses or permits that are needed by you. If you process the tobacco and then sell it to others, then a license would need to be had by you.”

Many of you may know this already, but I thought I would share this information with first-time Michigan tobacco growers such as myself.

Marco

Smokestack; I applaud you for doing your own research instead of relying on heresay. I did something very similar with an aspiration for profit. I found that the serious growers and founder of this site have changed that through newfound knowledge on the subject and a realization of the effort involved, to the newly aquired love of experiencing different types of tobacco, not for profit but for the experience not otherwise available. Anyone scared to try a new idea could use this site for an inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.