Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

transplanting seedlings from flats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
its coming soon and i still have to get soil samples and turn my soil, mine is a pain, the grass keeps creeping back in with those long roots that get caught in everything. and then most of my garden will be new broken lawn this year. ive got a gas line in there somewhere so not sure ill get to put a rototiller in there.

Gas line should be buried deeper than than your tiller will go, unless theres no codes. Take a piece of small diameter steel rebar or allthread about 3or 4' long and probe where you think it might be just to be on the safe side. Be careful if its a copper line not to poke it to hard. Or better yet get you a limber forked willow branch and hold loosely in front of you with one fork loosely between each thumb and forefinger while traversing the area and it should point the way.;)

Lakota

Founding Member
wazz you can have the gas company do a locate for you. I had a crew break a gas line at 8 inch below ground at the roadking truck stop. Never seen so many city vehicles, cop cars and em vehicles at any one place before. I spent about 2 hours explaining how it happened, that included all the paper work. Think a locate is your best bet. Russ

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
its coming soon and i still have to get soil samples and turn my soil, mine is a pain, the grass keeps creeping back in with those long roots that get caught in everything. and then most of my garden will be new broken lawn this year. ive got a gas line in there somewhere so not sure ill get to put a rototiller in there.

call your local digging service ( http://www.unitedlocating.com/callcenters.asp ) usually the # is 811 on a telephone

BarG

Founding Member
Better safe than sorry, try to find it one way or another. I dug up a gas line with a backhoe when I was enlarging my pond at my last house. I freaked out till I realized it was no longer in use. The whole town of Tomball, TX. got free natural gas at one time from an exxon oil reserve a half mile from my house, I was out of city limits and subject to county codes. Where I'm at now there are no codes to speak of. That was one of their old lines. I was on propane and no markers whatsoever indicating an old line was buried.

wazzappenning

yes i might get them to do a locate. i had them do one a few years back so i kind of know where it is. the rules they have are hand dig to find where exactly/ how deep it is before doing any work. they said a locate will cover my butt if i have any issues. this is a low pressure line. i saw the gas company use their thumb to plug the pipe while doing a repair.

nothing like this gasline. i dont know where to get the real story but it seems only minor injuries. im guessing the backhoe operator is gone sine the backhoe is.

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?9117-Gas-line-explosion&

BigBonner

Founding Member
I used to work running back hoe and bulldozer here at my small town . I know that the utility people don't even know where their older lines are if asked . I almost dug up the sewer , gas and water all in the same ditch al together which is illegal to do . My Boss had a fit and cussed the utillity people up one side and down the other . It was just luck I seen the bright orange line .

I was also taking out a old culvert and scrapped right accross a 6 inch water line . Only 2 feet deep

Fisherman

I used Don's suggestion of adding Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate). I am not sure whether to use Epsom Salt as a regular fertilizer. Has anyone used fertilizer for seedlings in general? For example, something like All Purpose Miracle Grow (12 - 4 - 8)?
Miracle Gro alone is not going to supply the stuff epxom salts will supply. I got good results later on with older plants with the salts and iron also but not as foliar spray....... I use 1/4 strength on seedlings and would use the epsom salts first also.

Status
Not open for further replies.