Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fermenting in a vapor-proof bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Those clothes pins are good for anything , My wife uses them to close up potato chip bags

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well, Lets see: I have some vapor proof bags, a hand of tobacco that is not labeled and a bottle of Nitrogen. I'll hose some tobacco down tomorrow with water, put it in a vapor proof bag and fill it with Nitrogen before sealing it. I'm only in my early 50's so I'm a little young to be using clothespins. I suspect the leaf will still probably mold due to the fermentable sugars in the leaf.
Randy B

Well this experiment was a bust. Almost a year ago I took 3 mason jars and put 3 leaves into each. They were all very heavily cased. One jar I flushed with Nitrogen and sealed. Another jar I flushed with a Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen gas mixture and sealed. The last jar ( the control) I just sealed with nothing added other than "natural" air. These I kept outside under my deck. I opened the jars today. All three were still heavily cased and not a bit of mold to be found on any of them. I was hoping that the control jar would have molded and the Nitrogen not molded, proving my theory that storing heavily cased tobacco with a Nitrogen flush would preserve it long term.

So now this brings other questions to mind. Are there certain cultivars that will not readily mold? Is there a sweet spot where mold forms? ie, too light a case or too heavy a case and you get nothing, but get just the right amount of moisture and you get mold growth. I just find it hard to believe that even the heavily cased control sample showed no mold growth at all.

Boboro

I store my shredded tobacco in very high case, or wet. With a half vodka half distild water with my casein in it. I keep it that way for 2 or 3 mounths sometimes with no mold as long as I keep the alc. in it. Can it age this way?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Well this experiment was a bust. Almost a year ago I took 3 mason jars and put 3 leaves into each. They were all very heavily cased. One jar I flushed with Nitrogen and sealed. Another jar I flushed with a Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen gas mixture and sealed. The last jar ( the control) I just sealed with nothing added other than "natural" air. These I kept outside under my deck. I opened the jars today. All three were still heavily cased and not a bit of mold to be found on any of them. I was hoping that the control jar would have molded and the Nitrogen not molded, proving my theory that storing heavily cased tobacco with a Nitrogen flush would preserve it long term.

So now this brings other questions to mind. Are there certain cultivars that will not readily mold? Is there a sweet spot where mold forms? ie, too light a case or too heavy a case and you get nothing, but get just the right amount of moisture and you get mold growth. I just find it hard to believe that even the heavily cased control sample showed no mold growth at all.

Had any vacuum sealed themselves?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Bob, it was just ambient temps ranging from almost 100 degrees in the summer to a low of single digits in the winter.
If I try this again I'll put the containers in my kiln for a more controlled atmosphere.

Markw

That's quite interesting, I was thinking of storing leaf sealed under vacuum in a plastic bag and storing it in the airing cupboard

Status
Not open for further replies.