Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Michibacy Grow Log 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I've got everything ready to store, processed what I want to and am letting the rest age. I have a remote RH monitor/thermometer in the container. At 65*F it is between 44-48R%RH, is this acceptable for storage? The leaf is in low-medium case the best I can tell (and I'm sure there is some air transfer since this thing isn't air tight)
In my storage area now it is 54°F 51% RH. The leaves are 'crinkly" dry and break to the touch. I have no problem with that and am aware the temp and RH vary daily. I will have to mist heavily before I can move/use any of it.

Hope this helps, John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Yup helps a bunch! Mine are in the same case (pun intended), I figure being 65*F will allow it to age slowly but surely (I can't afford to be running the kiln!)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
run it till it's ready, then shred it and store it,

i think i ran my kiln,? 2 months?

2 crock pots and 2 ,,,, 200 watt heat lamps,

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I finally started a different kiln idea and it seems to work VERY well. Considering I don't have a huge amount of tobacco to kiln, I Macgyvered an "indoor dash board cure system". I know some folks don't like using plastic but I have yet to find a problem.

Anyway

I opened up a 30 gallon plastic tote, hooked up a clamp light with a 300 watt light bulb aiming inside the tub (made sure it can't touch the plastic tote) then put the separated tobacco hands into different plastic bags respective to their strain, misted, shook, shaked and threw the leaves around inside the bags, then set them in the plastic tub.

The ambient temperature is 55*F, interior ambient temperature is 68*F and the interior bag temperature is around 120 (after it's been allowed to warm back up after inserting the wireless thermometer) and humidity is around 59-65.

I'm keeping a close eye on the temperature of the plastic bags, tote, and the RH of the bags but so far it seems to work quite well. The bags within 1 day had the familiar "fermenting tobacco smell" and there is a slight hint of raisins when you open the bags. Pictures to come this afternoon I hope.

(PS that tote will become my new propagation tub this spring :D)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
only thing is that is a lot of watts to be running all the time, if you put the source inside you should be able to do the same with 10%

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I consider doing it Smokes, I just worry about overheating that plastic/melting it. I might throw a ceramic, forced air heater in there instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.