Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Workhorse's 2012 Grow Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse_01

Well the day finally came as of this weekend i have about 60 plants in the ground and about 200 more to go.IMG_20120512_170324.jpgIMG_20120512_170336.jpgIMG_20120513_191849.jpg

Rayshields

I notice from your pictures that you have your plants on ridges. I have some low ground, that has been known to flood, that I am thinking I will ridge also. Anybody else planting on ridges?

workhorse_01

Just high beds as we have had alot of water this year. My tobacco is planted the way they did it in the 40's, we deap tilled it with a big disc harrow,we layed the ground off, we fertilized with super rainbow 10-10-10,nitrogen 34-0-0 ,and added a little garden lime to the furrow, then we made the beds over the same furrow. I have a mixture of chicken house and mule lot under a tarp in the sun for when the crops are about three feet, we'll then side the crop and fertilize with it. Thank GOD for my dad he knows tobacco and mom said she'll teach me to grade it and tie hands as she did so much of it growing up she can do it blindfolded.

Rayshields

Thanks for the info. You have great resources close at hand. I learned that my grandfather's grandfather, who lived about 8 miles from where BigBonner lives, grew Burley tobacco...but, unfortunately, he isn't much help.

Ray

workhorse_01

I would like 2-3 weeks to get here so i can see-um, those to your far left are from BB, the rest are mine.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Did you add fertilizer based on a soil test? Don't just add fertilizer because "that's they way they used to do it". Modern technology now allows us to spend $25.00 and get a soil analysis done that not only will tell us what nutrients are in our soil besides the normal NPK but it can also save us a lot of money. Why add fertilizer if your soil analysis says you don't need to? Also, if you do need to add fertilizer, look in to the different types. You don't want to be adding a slow release nitrogen source at 3 weeks

workhorse_01

These are planted at my parents house they had a soil test done and this was the advice they got for their veg. garden we also found out the ants that were crawling were argentine ants which cant be killed with normal poison they have to be bated.

workhorse_01

Also i'm not shure where you get your chicken manure from but this is not slow release after adding it to our corn fields they undergo a massive change in a short period of time. We have to be very carefull with it not to burn the plants.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i was wondering why i hadnt seen this grow log before,,,

and then it hit ,me you started it today,,,,

sometimes my loss for common sense amazes me,,,

that row looks real good,,, nice machine.. it sure gets the job done,,,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I notice from your pictures that you have your plants on ridges. I have some low ground, that has been known to flood, that I am thinking I will ridge also. Anybody else planting on ridges?

i make mine like the shape of a soup bowl,,, where the water will collect in a round puddle all around the plant,,,

and im a big fan of chicken-manure,,, allthough i agree with j-bug.... if it's no longer '' hot'' it needs to be put in, now,,and tilled under real good,,, and have had a chance to get extremely wet,,,

i put mine in around december,,,

workhorse_01

I got a truckload last week from the chicken house, thats why it's under the tarp in the sun trying to kill off anything that might have come along with it.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
What he said... I adjusted my soil per my soil test the only thing I didn't do fast enough was the lime
I added lime in February instead of earlier.
Any way when I got home from work today I could see a difference in the plants
The good weather really helps.
I'll post a picture when there about 2 foot tall.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i must have gotten a good load of it,,,

last night while spraying fertilizer, i noticed a lot of MUSHROOMS growing in the holes where the plants are at,

fertilizer last night,,, POISION TONIGHT< the dreaded hornworm is upon me,,, i plucked 2 babies yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.